Fuji Reel 45 side cast

The Other Reels forum.
John Milford
Grayling

Fuji Reel 45 side cast

Post by John Milford »

The Fuji Reel 45 side cast.

An extremely well-built 5½" Japanese centerpin from the1960s, with some very unique features!

The blue spool separates from the white central boss, so that it can be reveresed periodically to counter line twist.

The distinctive central boss looks somewhat odd to the western eye, until one considers it is shaped in the form of a stylised chrysanthemum.

(A white chrysanthemum is a symbol of loyalty and devoted love in Japanese culture - it also represents happiness, longevity and joy. What more could one ask from a fishing reel? ).

Another unusual feature for a centerpin is that, in addition to a check, it also has an anti-reverse - in fact two - one for each direction of spin, depending on whether the reel is used for right or left hand wind.

Probably a bit heavy for most freshwater applications, but certainly suitable for pike and perhaps carp.

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Duckett
Tench

Re: Fuji Reel 45 side cast

Post by Duckett »

Nice example that. Most of the ones I have seen have looked rather sorry form themselves. Have to admit, given the side and solid looking construction, I always assumed that they are for sea fishing.

The Japanese do love to put chrysanthemum and cherry blossoms on items!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Duckett wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:11 pm Nice example that. Most of the ones I have seen have looked rather sorry form themselves. Have to admit, given the side and solid looking construction, I always assumed that they are for sea fishing.

The Japanese do love to put chrysanthemum and cherry blossoms on items!

Phil
Yes, most likely a sea fishing reel, first and foremost, Phil.

The 'nautical' colour scheme, size and stainless steel backplate certainly fit with that.

While they aren't commonplace, they seem to crop up for sale often enough, so there was presumably a UK distributor for them at some stage?

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Not the most exciting video, but something from YouTube showing the reel's workings:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beautifully engineered and highly practical reel, I love it. Mind you, I'd spend more time fiddling with it than actually fishing.

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

I’ve got a couple of these fascinating reels and have used them for pike and , at sea, black bream fishing.
As John says,By reversing the spool after each cast , line twist ( the bane of Alvey side caster users) is eliminated but, it’s an advantage to be ambidextrous as the angler needs to alternate left, and right hand winding.
In realty , it doesn’t take long to get used to it.

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Ah yes,I've had one of these Fuji's.A big old reel and almost indestructible.I seem to remember it not having a counterweight opposite the handle so it was a bit wobbly and I thought the removable spool was probably for hand-lining (from a pier or quay perhaps).Also,I thought the two antireverse levers were a catastrophe waiting to happen.A solid usable reel of course but the one I had was only ever for looking at...TTFN 😎👍

Return to “Other Reels”