French Super Model

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

French Super Model

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Another old Mepps Super Vamp.A recent addition (addiction) in good working condition with only a couple of minor scrapes on the foot.Thankfully,most of the body screws didn't need a tidy up.Like another Super in my modest Mepps collection and even after fresh grease,the gear train is a bit noisy and is amplified with the spool replaced.The coupling on the gear rods makes it the 1947 version as per my recently acquired Mepps reference book which has proved incredibly helpful.

Cat
Chub

Re: French Super Model

Post by Cat »

Damn! ...thought that was a thread about Brigitte Bardot. Lovely reel though!

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Cat wrote: ↑Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 pm Damn! ...thought that was a thread about Brigitte Bardot. Lovely reel though!
I knew the title of my thread would entice someone............just like you.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Lol...at least I was honest!

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Nice one Russ.
How many Vamps do you have in your collection now?

Does your book have anything on my Super Vamp, date wise?

Cheers. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Rockape wrote: ↑Wed May 15, 2024 7:30 am Nice one Russ.

Hi Rockape......6 Baby Vamp,3 Super Vamp,1 Mepps Ocean,2 Super Meca........If you can post pics of the drag type and the tail linkage of your Super I should
be able identify its age.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

:idea: d
Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Wed May 15, 2024 10:00 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Wed May 15, 2024 7:30 am Nice one Russ.

Hi Rockape......6 Baby Vamp,3 Super Vamp,1 Mepps Ocean,2 Super Meca........If you can post pics of the drag type and the tail linkage of your Super I should
be able identify its age.

Cheers Russ,

Here's all I have I'm afraid (plus what I posted earlier).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Hi Rockape.Your very nice Super Vamp,with its antireverse and one-piece drag knob,was marketed in 1950.The handle is a bit odd.It is definitely Mepps but my book shows the handle being from
the Meca model (not the Super Meca).The Meca model was made from 1957 to 1961 and is apparently rarer than the Super Meca.Perhaps a previous owner of your reel lost the handle and replaced it with another Mepps handle that his local tackle shop gave him.Bit of a guess though.....TTFN πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Thu May 16, 2024 2:13 pm Hi Rockape.Your very nice Super Vamp,with its antireverse and one-piece drag knob,was marketed in 1950.The handle is a bit odd.It is definitely Mepps but my book shows the handle being from
the Meca model (not the Super Meca).The Meca model was made from 1957 to 1961 and is apparently rarer than the Super Meca.Perhaps a previous owner of your reel lost the handle and replaced it with another Mepps handle that his local tackle shop gave him.Bit of a guess though.....TTFN πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Really appreceate your help with that Russ, thank you.
Yeah, I thought the handle was a bit odd, but I have to say that I have seen one other one with the same style handle, and probably just a coincidence...who knows? :Hat:

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

I did a quick web search and found another one like mine (a 3rd), so maybe for a short time, this type of handle was factory fitted to the Super Vamp?

Return to β€œOther Reels”