Which Cardinal

The ABU Reels forum.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Which Cardinal

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm not a huge fan of old fixed spool reels other than for their aesthetic qualities but am determined to use them from time to time to maintain the traditional theme. The one make that I do like and never previously owned due to their cost is the Abu Cardinal range. I love their rugged but efficient profile and the smooth gears and clutch.

Yesterday I bought a Cardinal 66 but as my son had set his heart on one before me I have given it to him - maybe I am just a soft touch :roll:

Anyway, I don't pretend to know the range very well so, does anybody know which Cardinals I should look for if I want to do some barbel and carp fishing? I've seen too many pictures of 54's with burst spools so I guess its between the 44, 66 or 77. Does anybody know the difference and suitabilities of these reel and the sort of money I will have to fork out for a good one?

Haydn Clarke

Re: Which Cardinal

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I think the difference between 44, 66, 77 is size, Dave. I have a near mint 77 and it is a lovely lovely reel. For what you want it for I'd probably go for either the 44 or 66

Maggot's Dad

Re: Which Cardinal

Post by Maggot's Dad »

"Afternoon" all, :Hat:

...as someone that only used ABU tackle throughout the 70's and into the 80's, I'd say go for the either the "66" which is "just" suitable for the pupose, but isn't really "man" enough for the bigger Barbel or Carp, in which case look towards the "77".

Return to “ABU Reels”