Butcher Redeemed

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Butcher Redeemed

Post by Hovis »

I'm enjoying these threads. This looks perfect to me. Only wish I could tie like that
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Hovis wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 pm I'm enjoying these threads. This looks perfect to me. Only wish I could tie like that
And you can. It just takes practice, practice, practice. And a wee bit of scotch doesn't hurt either. :Hahaha: But I usually have a glass after I tie to celebrate my accomplishment. Just take your time when tying.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Hovis wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 pm ........................... This looks perfect to me. Only wish I could tie like that
I agree with Terryll; You can tie like that. Everyone can-if they try.

It's merely a matter of sitting down and practising. Never start with small hooks. You start with much bigger hooks and coarser thread by far than you need, then as you become more proficient, you can drop down a size at a time as things progress.

You learn little things as you go along and 'file' them away in your memory for the next one. That's how you learn anything and everything, by practice and experimentation. Realize your potential!

Yes, there is a great deal of satisfaction about tying "perfect" flies. but so many somehow fail to see that the neatest flies don't necessarily catch more fish-and this is what the whole business is about-catching fish!
My fly box is full of scruffy and rag-bag flies-but trout haven't the slightest appreciation for the fly-tyers art, regardless of what many condition themselves to think..

The first "fly" that I ever "tied" was as a small boy when, after all the dressing on a fly given to me, finally feel off, I knotted a small piece of black wool from my clothing around the bare hook, cut the ends off short and threw it out in the fast water at the head of a run, whereupon it was immediately seized by a trout!
I learnt more that post war evening about real fly fishing than any book could teach.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Hovis wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 pm I'm enjoying these threads. This looks perfect to me. Only wish I could tie like that
Split wings,missing tails and torn hackles,this river waiter has not had a complaint by a customer yet Hovis.

Use a sewing needle instead of a hook to practice all the elements individually,like body wraps with the thread,hackles and wings,and if you aren’t happy simply slide the material off the needle and try again. Even A straightened and cut paper clip would do. A simple spider pattern is the basis for most wet and dry flies,and there’s nothing simpler than a black spider.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'm a full believer in GISS and KISS

General Impression, Size and Shape

and

Keep It Simple Stupid

The elbows and ar**hole of ultra realistic tying are there to catch anglers, as are the vast majority of fly patterns, they can be enjoyable to tie but the fish don't see it like we do and they generally don't care provided your offering looks edible. If they're being selective then GISS will usually do. Or throw something completely different st them!

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Well I had a wild brown trout coming to the surface for my sight indicator last week Liphook,totally ignoring the two nymphs set below it,nuff said haha.
I’ve found if I’m using a fly tied on a small hook,and I don’t get a touch,the trick is to present them with a fly of overwhelming presence e.g,the same pattern on a size 6 :Hahaha:

:Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

:Hahaha: You've got to ring the changes Ian! :Hat:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:30 pm :Hahaha: You've got to ring the changes Ian! :Hat:
I meant to say Liphook,that trout came for the indicator 3 times in a row. I remember having the groundbreaking idea of using a feeder full of mashed sardines whilst dead baiting for pike,took the loss of a few feeders before I realised it doesn’t work, If only I had thought of putting a treble on them :Hahaha:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I prefer indicating flies rather than these 'hookless floats' in the form of foam/yarn etc. Its amazing what a fish will lash at on occasion! Groundbaiting for pike is a whole other topic we'd better keep out of the flytying section for fear of reprisals from purists :Hahaha:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:44 pm
Liphook wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:30 pm :Hahaha: You've got to ring the changes Ian! :Hat:
I meant to say Liphook,that trout came for the indicator 3 times in a row. I remember having the groundbreaking idea of using a feeder full of mashed sardines whilst dead baiting for pike,took the loss of a few feeders before I realised it doesn’t work, If only I had thought of putting a treble on them :Hahaha:
Liphook wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:52 pm I prefer indicating flies rather than these 'hookless floats' in the form of foam/yarn etc. Its amazing what a fish will lash at on occasion! Groundbaiting for pike is a whole other topic we'd better keep out of the flytying section for fear of reprisals from purists :Hahaha:

Yes, I agree with keeping it out of the fly fishing section. You wouldn't want to make us purists angry, you wouldn't like us when we're angry.

Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “Fly Tying”