Butcher Redeemed

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Iasgair
Chub

Butcher Redeemed

Post by Iasgair »

Yes, now I'm feeling much better about this fly.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Re: Butcher Redeemed

Post by Ian »

That’s a bit too perfect iasgair😂😂😂😂😂 only joking. Keep it up,your fly tying is some of the best I’ve seen on the forum.well done indeed.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:37 pm That’s a bit too perfect iasgair😂😂😂😂😂 only joking. Keep it up,your fly tying is some of the best I’ve seen on the forum.well done indeed.
Aw shucks. I bet you say that to all the fly tying hillbillies.
:Hahaha:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:13 pm
Ian wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:37 pm That’s a bit too perfect iasgair😂😂😂😂😂 only joking. Keep it up,your fly tying is some of the best I’ve seen on the forum.well done indeed.
Aw shucks. I bet you say that to all the fly tying hillbillies.
Well it’s true so there😂😂,anyway you should see wee rab and me tying flies,we are like duelling hand toes,all over the place.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Very well tied indeed, but as a choice between the two to catch a fish with, I would put more confidence in the first.. Sorry!

The Butcher is more commonly tied with black wings now. About this time of year, you can pick up moulted tail feathers from the common (Eurasian) Magpie and the long, centre ones have the same oily blue, metallic sheen near the ends. I have used these also for tying Butchers.

Thank you for posting..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Watermole+ wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:24 pm Very well tied indeed, but as a choice between the two to catch a fish with, I would put more confidence in the first.. Sorry!

The Butcher is more commonly tied with black wings now. About this time of year, you can pick up moulted tail feathers from the common (Eurasian) Magpie and the long, centre ones have the same oily blue, metallic sheen near the ends. I have used these also for tying Butchers.

Thank you for posting..

wm+
There’s a traditional Clyde style wet fly “night fly” called a magpie tail watermole,also tied with the same blue hue feather of the magpie. Crow or jackdaw wings have a green hue,I think,unless I’m wrong.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Ian wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:42 pm There’s a traditional Clyde style wet fly “night fly” called a magpie tail watermole,also tied with the same blue hue feather of the magpie. Crow or jackdaw wings have a green hue,I think,unless I’m wrong.
Well…..Mr McPhail certainly puts my “fly tying” into perspective, does he not!

That certainly looks a good trout fly and one to try out..

I have a regular, semi-tame crow visitor to my garden and which will sit next to my workshop floor and squawk loudly for his piece of soaked bread in the morning so I am able to study him quite closely and the feathers seems to have a definite blue sheen, more than green. Jackdaws also visit but they seem to be regular black, apart from having a sooty cap.

Thank for posting that.. :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Watermole+ wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:24 pm Very well tied indeed, but as a choice between the two to catch a fish with, I would put more confidence in the first.. Sorry!

Thank you for posting..

wm+
Ah, mercy. I even have a magpie skin in my skin drawer and forgot about that I could use one of those. Thank you for reminding me about that. I'm getting it out now so I don't forget.

Yes, the first would be a fishing fly and the second just my looking at fly. :laugh1: :laugh1:

Return to “Fly Tying”