Which Epping Forest ponds contain Pike?

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Re: Which Epping Forest ponds contain Pike?

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Tadpole wrote:As ever Epping is lovely at this time of year even if one is breaking the rules...oooppsss!

Said culprit....

Tad,

That Forest is a fabulous place.Id love to be able to see all those anglers from yesteryear .And enjoy those ponds these days too.
Great photos mate

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Tadpole,

Sorry for the late reply.

There are Pike in Baldwins Pond as i caught 2 a couple of seasons ago, small jacks of a couple of pounds each.

Highams Park used to have quite a few, my biggest from there is 13lb. The Ornamentals in Wanstead used to have a lot of Pike and a 34lber came out in the mid 90's I've had fish to 12lb from there and there must still be some there.

Connaught always had a few and I'd be surprised if there wern't some in Wake Valley.

Gaz

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

the Eagle Specimen Group (or 75% of them) having just returned a 13lb Pike to to the Hollow Ponds

where did that 40 years go!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

ian.r.mcdonald wrote:
the Eagle Specimen Group (or 75% of them) having just returned a 13lb Pike to to the Hollow Ponds
That's a good wheeze, which I'll be adopting myself. "Of course you can't see the specimen fish - the photo was taken just after I'd returned it!" :chuckle:

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

davyr wrote:
ian.r.mcdonald wrote:
That's a good wheeze, which I'll be adopting myself. "Of course you can't see the specimen fish - the photo was taken just after I'd returned it!" :chuckle:

Sorry my mistake it was 33 lb

Look out for a similar posting on another site for my 13 lb Dove barbel next week

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

ian.r.mcdonald wrote:Look out for a similar posting on another site for my 13 lb Dove barbel next week
I look forward to (not) seeing that, Ian! :thumb:

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Interesting image and story about Hollow Ponds there. These days I'd be amazed if there's a single fish in it - it's usually very shallow, covered in rowing boats and surrounded by a big crowd of people making a mess. I suspect any fish that were in there in the last 5 years have found their way onto dinner plates too. Sad really as it's a nice spot but too easily accessed to survive in the modern Leytonstone community.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I was always amazed that Pike survived in the 70s with the "bang it on the head" mentality of the "normal" fisherman- but compared to the eastern european view of all fish as food ,it was nothing.

Glad to be an ex londoner and hidden up here in deepest Staffordhsire

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Don't worry Ian, London is fine, its not under threat by pike gobbling loons

Last time I got threatened was last year, Hereford town centre on a wednesday night. Xenophobia at its finest.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

ian.r.mcdonald wrote:Glad to be an ex londoner
Norf or Sarf? I'm an East Londoner (Bow) by birth, but a Sarf Londoner from the age of 7 until I left for good in 1980. Only been back a handful of times since!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”