Unknown Rod identification

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Unknown Rod identification

Post by LuckyLuca »

Bob, given the merger of Woodfields and Grice and Young in 1949. Would it be reasonable to think this rod is pre merger or do you think the brand would have lived on?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi,
They kept the name & traded under it for many years after the merger. Looking at the label I would say it dates to well after the merger. The style of the logo to me looks '60's so the Avon is undoubtedly the Hampshire one as opposed to the Warwickshire.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks Bob, fascinating that a brand can be around for that long, but be so hard to research.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Many of their adverts state Wholesale Only, so perhaps they made mainly for the trade and put on customers' brand names.
Just a thought,
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It would be fascinating to see some of their catalogues, if any still exist ... both pre and post merger.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Another novice question, did Hamshire Avon rods always have built top and middle sections? Dating mine in the 60's suggests it would be post merger but only having a built top section suggests Warwickshire? Or have I completely lost the plot?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It seems not, though that is what everybody desires these days, if you look at the illustration of an Avon rod in Bernard Venables' Mr.Crabtee goes Fishing, the rod has a whole cane middle section, or 'joint'.

I notice these days that any rod might find itself being described as one by an eBay seller, but originally it would seem that an Avon rod was capable of chucking a bait across the Hampshire Avon and had a bit more about it than a normal float rod.

Things got a bit more confusing when Richard Walker made his 'stepped down' Mark IV and called it an Avon, as at 10 feet it wasn't what most people would call an Avon at that time and by Walkers own description it was never meant as a float rod, but as a rod for chubbing.

So from that time on you have two styles of rod that were called an 'Avon'

Then along came John Wilson and re-defined the genre with his 11 foot 1.25lb. test curve Avon Quver with his extra top section for quivertipping...once more with chub in mind.

So entrenched is it in the mind of some modern anglers to join together the words Avon and Quiver that I have seen long internet forum discussions using the 'Avon' word to describe a quivertip rod!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

An image I found whilst browsing tonight.
Any thoughts on wether this is the same Woodfield post merger and move to Christchurch?

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Anyone?

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”