WHAT EXACTLY IS A LEATHER CARP, NOW?

This forum is for discussing carp.
Woolly Bear
Chub

Re: WHAT EXACTLY IS A LEATHER CARP, NOW?

Post by Woolly Bear »

Scantily dressed mirrors, genetically controlled ,where is this all leading I ask myself .Surely quote , a genetically true mirror . By definition surely must have scales . Tee Hee . Genetic regards ,Woolly Bear . :Hat: :Hat: :Hat: :Hat: :Hat:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I love mirror carp, and the bigger the scales the better!!! :Cool:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I like the term 'Scantily Clad Mirror' - I must use that some time.

I was once told that nude leathers are generally sterile. My memory may be letting me down here but I think it was Kevin Clifford who had mentioned that. I apologise if it wasn't.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that a high proportion of nude leathers often have deformed fins.

Yes, I've noticed that too Shaun, small stumpy fins on nude leathers I've caught and seen in the past.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Pulling yer leg FB, hence the smiley!! :Wink:
Oh, OK, SK - I'll let you off then :Ok: :Happy:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Woolly Bear wrote:Scantily dressed mirrors, genetically controlled ,where is this all leading I ask myself .Surely quote , a genetically true mirror . By definition surely must have scales . Tee Hee . Genetic regards ,Woolly Bear . :Hat: :Hat: :Hat: :Hat: :Hat:
I beg to differ because the amount of scales will also be subject to variation within the species. Consider the amount of body hair human males have. Most of us have about the same but there are a few individuals who have no body hair and some who have so much that they are often referred to as wolf boy or some such term.
This is why genetic testing is the only way to know for sure and again in the extreme leads to athletes such as Caster Semenya being sex tested as a person's sex is solely determined by their genes and their appearance is not a guaranteed test.
This is one of those areas, of which there are many, where the scientific definition and the everyday view may differ. To most anglers a carp with almost no scales is a leather and one with large plate-like scales dotted around is a mirror. Never mind the genetics; however, the original question was "what exactly is a leather carp, now" In general terms I would say a carp with few if any scales and mostly just along the top of the flanks but being exact, a carp which exhibits the genotype ssNn.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
Woolly Bear wrote:Scantily dressed mirrors, genetically controlled ,where is this all leading I ask myself .Surely quote , a genetically true mirror . By definition surely must have scales . Tee Hee . Genetic regards ,Woolly Bear . :Hat: :Hat: :Hat: :Hat: :Hat:
I beg to differ because the amount of scales will also be subject to variation within the species. Consider the amount of body hair human males have. Most of us have about the same but there are a few individuals who have no body hair and some who have so much that they are often referred to as wolf boy or some such term.
This is why genetic testing is the only way to know for sure and again in the extreme leads to athletes such as Caster Semenya being sex tested as a person's sex is solely determined by their genes and their appearance is not a guaranteed test.
This is one of those areas, of which there are many, where the scientific definition and the everyday view may differ. To most anglers a carp with almost no scales is a leather and one with large plate-like scales dotted around is a mirror. Never mind the genetics; however, the original question was "what exactly is a leather carp, now" In general terms I would say a carp with few if any scales and mostly just along the top of the flanks but being exact, a carp which exhibits the genotype ssNn.
That seems sensible to me...

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Snape, I can see your point Sir , very interesting , genetics was never my best subject . Pleased you are here to correct me ,I doff my hat to you . Regards , Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Regardless of what is what , I prefer the classic dark bronze streamlined commons, closely followed by those mirrors
that look like an old wood carving in various tones of dark colours.
My third choice would be a very nicely coloured fully -scaled mirror with lots of different- sized large scales.
I suppose my perfect carp would be a 25 lb near-black in colour, classic shaped common.
:Happy:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Julian wrote:Regardless of what is what , I prefer the classic dark bronze streamlined commons, closely followed by those mirrors
that look like an old wood carving in various tones of dark colours.
My third choice would be a very nicely coloured fully -scaled mirror with lots of different- sized large scales.
I suppose my perfect carp would be a 25 lb near-black in colour, classic shaped common.
:Happy:
Hear, hear :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

I'm with Julian and Snape - commons for me every time. Most mirrors don't do a lot for me.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”