WHAT EXACTLY IS A LEATHER CARP, NOW?

This forum is for discussing carp.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

WHAT EXACTLY IS A LEATHER CARP, NOW?

Post by Gary Bills »

I don't know about you fellow Forum members, but I don't think I've caught a "proper" leather for years. Modern classification seems to only accept "nude" leathers as leathers, and therefore I think my last "proper" leather was back in 1982, from a canal. It had been stocked in 1978, with some wonderful fish, including leathers, linears and fully-scaled mirrors: it was the stock to die for.
Sadly, disease struck in the early Nineties, and wiped most of that stock out..
But I digress. It seems that, in the CCC days, a leather was 'allowed' a line of small scales over the back below the dorsal, and one or two on the lateral line - in other words, a sparsely-scaled mirror, in modern parlance. Walker called his 17lb 8oz Dagenham fish a leather, but in modern terms, it was not, Who is right...?
And Raspberry was called a leather for most of her life...
And Redmire's old "nude leather" seems to be a misnomer in modern terms...
What do fellow Forum members think?

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: WHAT EXACTLY IS A LEATHER CARP, NOW?

Post by Loop Erimder »

I always thought that if there were any scales then it would be a mirror or an almost leather and have not caught a leather an almost leather but not a leather
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Is a leather actually genetically different?
If not then a leather is really a mirror that just has no scales, as oposed to the definition of a mirror which may have only one scale
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

A line of very small scales over the top of the back under the dorsal fin ,is in my opinion a leather ,but correct me if im wrong .Good question .Best Regards Sir , Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Were the leathers bred that way for the table, so there were no issues with scaling the fish?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A leather carp is determined by its genetics.
It has to be ssNn.
Where s is the allele for for scaling and ss is mirror scaling and N or n is the number of scales with the N gene reducing the amount of scales.
Therefore a leather carp is a fish with reduced mirror scaling (probably as WB said along the top of the flank under the dorsal) not no scales although they may have no scales in which case it is a nude leather.

See my post on carp genetics http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... f=70&t=355
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Am I correct in assuming that just because a carp has hardly any scales it does not mean it is a leather - ie could you get a genetically true mirror carp that has just a few scales along the back like a genetically true leather carp?

And could you get a genetically true mirror carp that is a 'nude leather' in appearance?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Julian wrote:Am I correct in assuming that just because a carp has hardly any scales it does not mean it is a leather - ie could you get a genetically true mirror carp that has just a few scales along the back like a genetically true leather carp?

And could you get a genetically true mirror carp that is a 'nude leather' in appearance?
Oh my head hurts! :shocked: - I think we need a fish biologist, and soon...
But I think I read somewhere that, while a true leather is just another example of Cyprinus Carpio, it's muscular structure and blood vessels tend to differ from those of a mirror or common.
Is that a load of old cod (or carp)? - I just don't know...
Post thought - as with the "Wildie" question, I think the real question here is not what leathers are biologically and scientifically speaking, but what anglers think they are... ie, what do anglers accept as a "true" leather...
Last edited by Gary Bills on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Woolly Bear wrote:A line of very small scales over the top of the back under the dorsal fin ,is in my opinion a leather ,but correct me if im wrong .Good question .Best Regards Sir , Woolly Bear . :Hat:
Much appreciated, WB! :Happy:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A leather is simply a mirror with reduced scaling.
But most anglers in my experience think they have no scales (nude leather)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”