F1?

This forum is for discussing carp.
Maggot's Dad

Re: F1?

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Dave Burr wrote:Messing with nature - it never ends well

Hey Dave, :Hat:

.....I know him.... Frank something or other, I see him on the bank quite often down 'ere! :Hahaha:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Maggot's Dad wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:Messing with nature - it never ends well

Hey Dave, :Hat:

.....I know him.... Frank something or other, I see him on the bank quite often down 'ere! :Hahaha:
I think you need to fish at some waters where the locals are slightly less ecentric :Hahaha:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Is it true that F1 hybrids cannot reproduce , Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Woolly Bear wrote:Is it true that F1 hybrids cannot reproduce , Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:
That's right like most hydrids they are sterile.
I think there is some confusion between the practice of stocking large numbers of these fish into commercial fisheries which is undesirable but when the occur naturally in the wild they are a pleasant enough fish to catch.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Although they dont grow to a big size is it true they are quick growers hence why they stuff them into commercial match fisheries
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Snape wrote:
Woolly Bear wrote:Is it true that F1 hybrids cannot reproduce , Regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:
That's right like most hydrids they are sterile.
I think there is some confusion between the practice of stocking large numbers of these fish into commercial fisheries which is undesirable but when the occur naturally in the wild they are a pleasant enough fish to catch.

To quote Dr Malcolm in Jurassic Park "Oh yeah, ooh, ah, that's how it always starts, but then later there's running, then screaming."

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

I with loop,
They grow faster but they don't live as long, basically their life is genetically modified to be accelerated,
They are a quick fix for the day ticket and comms business , it's not their fault they're freaks
I embrace all things with fins and scales, they're not supposed to breed but nature always finds a way!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

F1 hybrid is a term used in genetics and selective breeding. F1 stands for Filial 1, the first filial generation seeds/plants or animal offspring resulting from a cross mating of distinctly different parental types. The term is sometimes written with a subscript, as F1 hybrid. The offspring of distinctly different parental types produce a new, uniform variety with specific characteristics from either or both parents. In fish breeding, those parents frequently are two closely related fish species, while in plant and animal genetics those parents usually are two inbred lines. Mules are F1 hybrids between horse and donkey. Today, certain domestic hybrid breeds, such as the Savannah cat, are classified by their filial generation number.

Mendel's groundbreaking work in the 19th century focused on patterns of inheritance and the genetic basis for variation. In his cross-pollination experiments involving two true-breeding, or homozygous, parents, Mendel found that the resulting F1 generation were heterozygous and consistent. The offspring showed a combination of those phenotypes from each of the parents that were genetically dominant. Mendel’s discoveries involving the F1 and F2 generation laid the foundation for modern genetics.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

It's not 100% true that fish hybrids cannot breed. There can be second generation hybrids (F2 - not to be confused with a strain of carpo labelled as F2) and also back-crosses where a hybrid breeds with a true fish of one of the parent species e.g. (roach x rudd) x rudd. What is true is that male hybrids are less fertile than female ones, and that also genetic faults tend to impinge greatly on survival so that species do tend to breed true rather than vice versa (species being a mish-mash hybrid). Just to add to the confusion it is possible though extremely rare to have a triple hybrid where say a roach x rudd crosses with a bream. There is an opinion that hybrids tend to err towards the maternal genes which is why roach x bream vary from very 'roachy' to very 'breamy'.

The thesis by Colin Pitt is the one to read.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

DaceAce wrote:just to add to the confusion it is possible though extremely rare to have a triple hybrid where say a roach x rudd crosses with a bream.
How about roach, bream, goldfish?

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”