Prawns for Perch - help please!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Prawns for Perch - help please!

Post by NiceRoach »

I've never tried prawns but will this week, so forgive my ignorance does supermarket bought, include shelled prawns or are guys fishing them whole, hooked in the tail body end?

Any pics of a baited prawn, a perch pond beckons if the weather holds.
niceroach

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

NiceRoach wrote:I've never tried prawns but will this week, so forgive my ignorance does supermarket bought, include shelled prawns or are guys fishing them whole, hooked in the tail body end?

Any pics of a baited prawn, a perch pond beckons if the weather holds.
I fish a whole king prawn on a size 6 wide gape hook and nip off the end of the tail and put that on the hook to obscure it a little. I have also tried king prawn tipped with lob tail or maggots but I find they all catch the same and are very effective.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

One tip worth taking on board is to steam off the excess moisture the prawns contain in a hot dry (ie no oil) non stick pan. This process firms them up and also concentrates the flavour/ attraction.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The king prawns I use (Tesco) are really firm and I have often caught 3 or 4 perch without changing the bait.
Using the set up below I think I have had around twenty 2lb+ perch since Jan.
Next time I want to try the uncooked ones. Has anyone tried them?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Well I very much regret that I cannot claim any 2 lb Perch at all....but I can claim some very big carp and some big eels to prawn ....hooked exactly as Snape shows above.......straight out of the Supermarket....no additives....

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Thank you guys - I've got the idea in my head, and it's clearer now especially with the pic so kindly uploaded Snape :Thumb:
niceroach

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Caught today on a bottom fished prawn hooked through the body (2lb 8oz). The hook was a size 8 and I also had a chub of about 1lb and hooked a Jack Pike of about 5lb but it bit through the line before I could land it. I love prawns as a bait and buy them by the bag from the frozen foods section.
IMG00454-20140323-1205 (440x330).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by The Old Buffer on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

On one pond I fish the little "coldwater" prawns & catch roach & rudd on a size 14 - as well as other species.

Warmwater (king) prawns are much firmer and as above are good for carp, perch etc but are too hard for roach & rudd. I usually cut them into 3 or 4 sections for use on a 6 or 8 hook.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”