Prawns for Perch - help please!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Prawns for Perch - help please!

Post by Tengisgol »

I am taking the two boys to a commercial tomorrow for a few hours for their ration of fresh air. I expect to be dashing between one tangle to the next BUT I have discovered this wee little lake apparently has some rather large perch! So I am thinking about my own rod poked in the corner with a crimson float hoping for a stripey.

I have seen lots of people being successful with prawns but need some guidance if I may:

- do I use standard frozen prawns?
- loose fed on their own or with some red maggots/worms?
- on the bottom or just off?

Plus any other guidance would be appreciated, results/outcome to be announced of course. Many thanks in anticipation...
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MGs
Pike

Re: Prawns for Perch - help please!

Post by MGs »

I use the frozen ones from the supermarket. I most often use the small ones on a size 12 or 14 hook, I float fish them about a couple of inches over depth. It seems to work I've had perch to 3lb 4oz using them. A friend uses the big ones legered and has had similar results. So it may be the taste/aroma rather than the size that is important.

I have also taken roach, rudd, bream and carp on these small prawns
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I buy the small prawns that almost fall apart when putting it on the hook - size 12 or 10 - had roach, rudd, tench etc.

Plus the giant ones which I cut into 3-4 sections, much firmer and avoids the roach & small stuff esp. using a 8 or 6 hook - but superb for perch & carp.

Both carp & perch will suck off the bottom whilst the smaller prawns I always fish off the bottom.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Tesco or Sainsbury prawn for me always look for the ones almost out of date and reduced price, As Mg,s said fish 2 to three inches over depth. Some of the larger Perch I have caught have taken on the drop as well
Bumble

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I too would recommend the frozen ones, but would tend to use the large ones on a size 6 or 8. I think that on a commercial you may get too much attention from smaller fish, especially as you will be helping your lads.

I would also set the float over depth by 2 or 3" and anchor with a shot. If nothing happens then you could then ring the changes by shallowing up to bring the prawn off the bottom. If all else fails then reduce the size of your prawn or break one in half.

If you are fishing close in I would tend to feed sparingly with broken up prawns. I have also caught 3lb plus perch using this method, as well as 'nuisance' carp and tench.
Good luck,
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

.....oh yes, twitch it back slowly. You will be amazed how many takes occur after it has been moved.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Brilliant advice chaps, I particularly like the idea of twitching it, that appeals to me. Very much appreciated. Off to the supermarket now!

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve also used whole prawns that were going cheap (a tad ripe) had good results...must have been the ripness :Hahaha:

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

If using prawns I generally use large prawns, often dunked in predator plus, for the decent perch.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have two bags of frozen prawns one is the value lot and the other is 'large'. Looking forward to this!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”