peaceful sussex lake perching

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

peaceful sussex lake perching

Post by Sussex Micky »

I have been fishing a small lake near to where i live for a few years now on and knowing that it held some large perch which are rarely caught I decided to try and catch one. The lake holds a large head of Roach and carp ,but it is the Tench for which I normaly fish for and have had some wonderful early morning sessions with many fish pushing up to six pounds.
The lake is very secluded and a day ticket is charged at seven pounds a day which you can buy at the village post office from 5.30am onwards! There is a steep track winding its way down to the lake which lies in the Brede Valley directly behind the River Brede and it is in a very beautiful setting .. in summer bird calls of nightingale ,cuckoo and warblers can be heard all around
Unfortunately this "paradise"has started to be invaded by a few undesirable litter louts and often the odd empty tin of sweetcorn ect is found after their weekend visits ..Fortunately I am able to fish the lake whithin the week being retired and sometimes I get the lake to myself! even so at the most I normally see is about two other anglers there at times.
After two seasons targeting "Mr Stripey" in between Tenching, I have had somewhat reasonable sucesss and not seeing anyone else target perch there i seem to be lucky that that is so.
My tackle set up normaly consists of two sealy "octofloats" or Chapman 500 teemed up with rapidex centre pins and loaded with eight pounds line, i then use my own perch bobbers and snood a lip hooked live bait of about 3 ins long about one foot from the bottom. ..this is cast out and positioned just a few feet away from the rushes..the perch takes are very fast when it happens and i have noticed a pattern..i will get say two takes in 15 mins then its dead for a long period
There is one draw back and that is that Eels will often take the livebait "the lake hold some fair sized specimens and to be honest id rather only catch the perch.
After two seasons i have taken about ten perch from this lake , the biggest weighing 3 lbs 12 0z and several Eels up to 3lbs 6 oz.. i do know a man who caught a perch from the lake ten years ago weighing 4lbs 4oz but he no longer fishes. I am hoping to start Perching very soon there and hope to let you know how i get on :Wink:
the pictures include the the 3lbs 12 perch and 3lbs 6oz Eel. typical Tench and a nest of a Reed Warbler which was situated in the reeds at the lake
Last edited by Sussex Micky on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

MGs
Pike

Re: peaceful sussex lake perching

Post by MGs »

A great catch. Nice to see a perch bob, very traditional
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

It certainly looks a lovely water. Fine photography as well Sir.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Lovely Jubely,
The perch has got to be my favourite fish in the colder months. I love the look of the venue, if only for the weekend. It is a nice write up too, thanks for sharing it.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Thanks Bob..yes I think that perch are well up on my most favourite fish too ..micky :Thumb:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Sounds like a perfect little pool to indulge your passion, lovely pictures too.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Sounds a great place Mickey, esp omn a day ticket.
I'd fancy a crack at the Tench and the Perch.

Gaz

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Very nice pool and some fine fish :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely write up and pictures Micky.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

thankyou :Hat: ..just wondered if other gents here have caught Eel on livebait whilst Perching?

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”