Abu 66 - my new carp winch

The ABU Reels forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

Abu 66 - my new carp winch

Post by Marc »

Just arrived today. My new (old) Abu 66 with spare spool and tiny amount of reel oil. First Abu reel in my collection and she'll be used as my new carp reel on the rod I recently bought from Wal. I can't believe how smooth it is. Even more so than my modern reels with ball bearings. The handle falls on its own and it has a very pleasing chatter with the AR engaged.
I'm a happy boy.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Re: Abu 66 - my new carp winch

Post by AndyPop »

That should give service for many years to come. I always think of that series of ABU as being of great quality. They will take abuse by the bucket load, but always seem to be up to the job and really smooth. I currently have two 44's and a 44 express, and think they are a world apart from Mitchells of a similar vintage. Especially when you don't clank your knuckles when you forget the rotor goes the other way!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Careful, this could be the start of a Mitchell V's ABU war and there would be many casualties :Chuckle:

For my part, I love the Cardinal range - superb reels. If only they made a baitrunner :Scared:

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

They did Dave. But it's a later model and hasn't got "the look" or I suspect the feel of the earlier Cardinals.I'm definitely in the ABU camp on this one, although really fancy a Mitchell 304 for quirkiness at the moment. Just don't think performance will be on par. Let he who is without sin cast the first Paul Cook float at me .Haha.
regards Mark

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I'm very fond of both, however this being my first from the Abu camp so I may be swayed.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I have had nearly every Mitchell going (medium sized) and not one has come close to a Cardinal for smoothness and build quality, IF I had to say a reel that did come close well it would of been a 440A Match reel I had built in the Pacific Rim from 1988 :Scared: .
As some may know I have gone over to the reelX oil and grease in all my reels now and it makes these Cardinals even smoother which really is something.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Mr Beechmerelake. Do you have any knowledge of the ABU centre drag series reels. Bit of a poor man's Suveran, but I'm strangely drawn to them at the moment. Can't decide between one of the CD reels, a 33 cardinal or a couple of decent Mitchell 304s on the bay.Appreciate any input you may have.
Regards Mark

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I've had all the CD6 Abu's and they are not far of as good as a suveran, which I've had a few of too and still have a S4000M, the best allround reel I've ever owned, I even acquired 6 spare spools, spare handle and drag assembly from Abu service center when i called to get a replacement (second hand) body for a broken one i bought on that auction site. One of my local tackle shops had 4 of the CD6's in 1,2,3 and 4000 sizes so i bought the lot to resell on, which i did after trying them all, the 1000 and 2000 are too small for anything but close range work but the 3000 and 4000 i would be happy using for anything that swims from a gonk in a pond to big gravel pit pike. the drag is immense and wonderfully smooth being bigger in surface area than many of the biggest and most expensive big pit reels available today. Although the CD6 is good, the Suveran has the edge due to the body construction but all the oily bits are similar or the same so if you want the stopping power of the centre drag it's a cheap option.

I have an Abu 44x which is a lovely reel, when i first started 'carping' i couldn't afford the Abu 55's that many were using and had a pair, yes we all used two rods then, of Abu 77's and for floater fishing and ledgering a 66. Great reels then, and still are now, although i'm now mainly using Mitchells for the last few years and just about to try a pair of Allcocks Felton crosswinds on the carp this year for a change, I might keep an eye out for another 77 for the pike next winter :Thumb:

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Greentura, thank you. You have just help me decide between another Cardinal (which I love)and the CD reel which I really fancy. I already have cardinal 4s and C5s and they are great reels, but have seen CD reels in the bay and NEED them for some reason.I must have posted my last thread as you replied to this one. Fantastic forum . You always find your answers.
Best regards Mark

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Sorry Old Nell I missed your post asking questions on the CD6, I was a fan of the Suveran but never even picked up a CD6, do remember Greentura saying on a previous post about him using one and selling some others and he has given you an account on that, all I can say is if they are as close to being a Suveran then they wont let you down.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”