which Abu 506 is better ?

The ABU Reels forum.
Robbi
Tench

which Abu 506 is better ?

Post by Robbi »

I'm determined to try an Abu closed face reel, in my previous post folks seemed to favour the 506, here are two from the 'bay priced about the same.

Which is the better reel / value ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABU-SWEDEN-50 ... 1c3e4bbbe6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abu-Garcia-50 ... 51b0558c18
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

SeanM
Tench

Re: which Abu 506 is better ?

Post by SeanM »

Personally wouldn't go for either of these. A vintage 506 is probably the best of the two reels, but the price of the one above is a bit steep. You should be able to pick one up for around £30 or less in an auction. Make sure it's still got its antireverse pawl fitted. If you want to backing get a 501.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

My opinion, neither. Don't laugh, but a shakespeare wonderspin is a very good, cheap, closed face reel. You're paying for a name buying Abu.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Plus, I may be mistaken, but I'm sure I've seen Abu closed face reels in a 'Dragon carp' outlet for about £15... Can't find them on the net.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

I know, I know .........But i want an Abu closed face reel because I always wanted one as a kid but could never aford one, but I can now :)

My previous post was about a 704, then people recommend the 506, now folks are saying the 501 or even a different make......

You're not helping me here guys, I'm indecisive enough as it is !

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Well I can understand that, I've been looking for a zebco power shaft, just because I had one as a kid. Get the 506, they're all much of a muchness, overpriced, over complicated.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

But which 506 ?

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

The vintage one obviously. Not that bling looking piece of Liberace jewellery.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Prince of Durham wrote:The vintage one obviously. Not that bling looking piece of Liberace jewellery.
Lol :). But, but............

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There are 2 506 ABUs - 506 & 506M.

I understand that the newest one are not a patch on the older ones. I have 501/506/507/601 and my colleague has a 1044. I still do not have a 506m or a 601M.

So - 507 for heavy trotting - chub - barbel or even grayling from a fast big river - Tweed - Hants Avon type waters. Lines of 6-8lb.

501/506 are much the same for me as I remove the option to play fish on the drag on most reels. Trotting for grayling, roach, dace, (smaller fish than the 507) inc chub up to about 4-5lb - from smaller rivers & lighter lines!

I have kept one 506 with the drag & use it for tiddler snatching.

Return to “ABU Reels”