spawning habits of roach

This forum is for discussing roach.
Chubman
Crucian Carp

spawning habits of roach

Post by Chubman »

ive been watching the massive shoals of roach spawning on the starwort weed on the itchen in the last few days,and ive noticed all the roach are identical in size,approx 6 to 8 ozs,were as other shoals of roach in the 1,5lb size range are showing no sign of white nodules on them ,(which i understand is a sign they are in spawning mode,)
i just wonder if roach are sexulaly mature at approx 2to3years or 6 -8 ozs ,and this is the only time in there lives in which they breed.any one know the answer to the sex life of the redfin ,tight lines chubman.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: spawning habits of roach

Post by Dave Burr »

Interesting, I witnessed a similar thing on a lake last year. Probably due to the lack of weed after the long winter, the roach were spawning against the tree roots next to my swim. They were at it 24/7 (just for Nobby :Sarcasm: ) and I got very little sleep over the three day session.

Like you saw, all of the fish were small, up to about half a pound yet the lake holds fish over two pounds. Maybe a call to Mark Everard is needed.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Chubman wrote:ive been watching the massive shoals of roach spawning on the starwort weed on the itchen in the last few days,and ive noticed all the roach are identical in size,approx 6 to 8 ozs,were as other shoals of roach in the 1,5lb size range are showing no sign of white nodules on them ,(which i understand is a sign they are in spawning mode,)
i just wonder if roach are sexulaly mature at approx 2to3years or 6 -8 ozs ,and this is the only time in there lives in which they breed.any one know the answer to the sex life of the redfin ,tight lines chubman.
If you visit the Avon Roach Project site you'll see film of much larger roach spawning .. A wonderful site and fantastic work being carried out by those guys..

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Roach have a high fecundity, often producing up to 100,000 eggs from the larger females. Having said that they only generally breed once a year, unlike Carp and Tench....the little monkeys :Wink:

It is my suspicion that the large number of 6-8 inch Roach probably represent the majority of the fish in the river/lake/pond. The bigger fish, with obviously reduced numbers, have learnt the hard way to be less obvious in their procreative activities, probably doing so under cover of darkness or in deeper water away from predatory eyes.

This could account for the reason why they were not observed.

10 degrees C seems to be the water temperature that gets the little blighters in a frisky mood. This can occur anytime between April and June usually, depending how far up North you are, as the Northern territories generally take longer to reach the magic temperature.

Sexual maturity seems to be reached in the region of two - three years old. Again dependent on ambient growth rates mostly.

Roach are my favourite fish, which is why I have taken the time to know about this important part of their survival.

I do so hope this helps any further understanding of this important fish :Hat:

As ever,.....

Mole Power!!! :Sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I believe the male roach usually spawn for the first time at three or four years old while females take a year longer to mature. Fishery surveys indicate that a normal maximum age for roach is around 15 years, although low teens appear more likely in many waters. In a rich environment, a roach can probably reach 2lbs in as little as seven years, although 10/11 years is more realistic.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

JerryC wrote:I believe the male roach usually spawn for the first time at three or four years old while females take a year longer to mature.
Sorry to disagree with you on this point but some Roach, males mostly, can and do mature enough to participate in spawning from two years old. It really is all down to growth rates :Hat:

I do agree that it is probably for the best to say that male Roach mature at two plus years to cover this point whilst agreeing entirely that female Roach generally become sexually mature later than males but again this is down to those all important growth rates, due mostly to genetic make-up, food abundance, water quality and ambient temperature(s).

There are other factors but these are the most important and generally regarded as irrefutable.

So will stand by my original comments re-quoted below, as entirely valid.....
Moley wrote: Sexual maturity seems to be reached in the region of two - three years old. Again dependent on ambient growth rates mostly.
...if that is alright with you, or not as the case may be?

As ever,....

Say aye tae'a pie!

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Hi Moley, on reflection thinking back, I agree with you - males from two (with females a year later). My mistake, and please be assured that my post was not meant to be a contradiction of your's - whilst reading (possibly too quickly) through the posts I missed your relevant line completely.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dear Jerry C

Many thanks for your gracious acceptance of the Roachy facts as espoused by yours truly.

I must apologise for my sometimes seemingly pedantic argument(s) but in mitigation I truly don't know very much about things in general but with regard to Roach and Roach Fishing I very probably know as much as some regarded as experts, although I would never make such a claim, having spent most of my life fishing for and sometimes even catching them, since 1955.

I remember the day, the time and the venue such was the profound effect upon a four year old me, caused by the inadvertant capture of a tiny electric blue and silver bar of living beauty......

It has been downhill ever since :Hat:

As ever,

Say aye tae'a pie!

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I'm fishing a lake that holds good roach tomrrow, my current pb Roach is only 1lb so I'd love to beat it.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”