Any suggestions to catch a Barbel

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Any suggestions to catch a Barbel

Post by Rutland Rod »

I have never caught a Barbel ! I'm in the process of getting a season ticket for the Nene but I also fancy a crack at the Trent, can any of you suggest a stretch I can fish covered by day ticket or reasonably priced season ticket where I'm in with a chance of a Barbel of any size...........area wise I have in mind Nottingham to Newark, the Soar is nearer to where I live so is that an option ?

Tight lines
Dave

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Re: Any suggestions to catch a Barbel

Post by AndyPop »

Rutland Rod wrote:I have never caught a Barbel ! I'm in the process of getting a season ticket for the Nene but I also fancy a crack at the Trent, can any of you suggest a stretch I can fish covered by day ticket or reasonably priced season ticket where I'm in with a chance of a Barbel of any size...........area wise I have in mind Nottingham to Newark, the Soar is nearer to where I live so is that an option ?

Tight lines
Dave
Hi Dave. £27 will get you a Long Eaton Victoria ticket which will get you some barbel fishing at Kegworth weir, or the Meadows at Ratcliffe on Soar. Clifton Grove on the Trent just south of Nottingham will always throw up a couple of barbel, or even try the Ferry Field stretch at Thrumpton.
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

A1 pits at Newark, I fished it last night with 3 friends, we only had bream, but a guy further along bagged up on barbel, especially during the day.
He was fishing at the very far end of the A1 pits stretch, drive all the way down the track under the A1 & keep going until you can go no further (at a fence).Park there & climb over into the field stretch (the old Sheffield Piscatoral stretch).
He was fishing just after the bend, you will stand a good chance there because most other anglers can't be bothered travelling all the way down & carrying their gear across the field they tend to fish between crankley point & the A1 bridge area.
£10 for 24 hours.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'd go with the A1 pits stretch. If you do try there remember that if you're on a day ticket the gates are locked around 8.00pm (ask the bailiff for the exact time). The most prolific area is the first few swims as you drive down the track, but these will be busy at weekends. As Northern Eel says, at weekends you're better driving down to the bottom of the length and fishing on or just above the bend in the river. Standard Trent tactics of feeder fishing will work and the bottom of this stretch has the advantage that you won't need heavy gear if the river isn't up. Don't expect bites straight away as it can be a waiting game at times.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Guy's for your suggestions, will have a go this year.

Tight lines
Dave

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Park there & climb over into the field stretch (the old Sheffield Piscatoral stretch).
He was fishing just after the bend,
Northern Eel: do you mean the stretch opposite the east side of Winthorpe Lake?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “River Trent”