EDGAR SEALY GLANE

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Solwaysalmo

EDGAR SEALY GLANE

Post by Solwaysalmo »

Good evening chaps I have a Edgar Sealey Glane 10ft fly rod that belonged to my grandfather its a pretty heavy rod single hander and im sure I recall him saying it was the first of its kind made thought this would be the best place to get some information on it many thanks in advance

SOLWAYSALMO

Badger
Grayling

Re: EDGAR SEALY GLANE

Post by Badger »

I think the Glane was a hollow glass range introduced by them in the early 1960's. This is from the 1969 catalogue. Is the rod glass ? Welcome to the forum.

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The name 'Glane' apparently comes from the gun-metal finish of the hollow glass.

The Edgar Sealey 'Glane' series was apparently a long-running name ... and is mentioned in the 1964 'Fishing Equipment Price list' ... but only in 2 piece 8 1/2 ft or 9ft length, or 3 piece 9 or 9 1/2 ft length versions :-

The first reference I can find to a 10 ft version is in the "Sealey Fishing manual 1967," which lists an extended range :-

"The Glane series. A handsome series in Glane, the improved gun-metal finish hollow glass.Suction ferrules, plum whippings. handle and furnishings as illustration.
Two piece 8ft., 8 1/2ft., 9ft. or 10ft.
3 piece 9ft., 9 1/2ft., or 10ft."

Not meaning to be a wet blanket, Sir ... but the 10ft version appears to have been a later addition to the range.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Solwaysalmo

Post by Solwaysalmo »

Thanks lads know a lot more now :Chuckle:

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

There was a Glane spinning rod too - I know cos I just sold one!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

The name actually derives from combining glass and cane. Sealey advertised the rods as manufactured from glass with the action of split cane?

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

The VFC wrote:There was a Glane spinning rod too - I know cos I just sold one!
You're right VFC I got a 10' two piece Glane Salmon spinning rod in 1969. Really good rod for Piking and still in use now.

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

The VFC wrote:There was a Glane spinning rod too - I know cos I just sold one!

I have just bought a Edgar Sealey 7' long Spinning Rod with the word Glane written down the butt piece as well as the words "Conolon Live Fiber" written inside a fish logo. The rod also has a Sealey 2 piece rod bag in beige with an aquamarine Sealey name patch.

Any information regarding year of manufacture and value would be most welcome.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

John Cave wrote:I have just bought a Edgar Sealey 7' long Spinning Rod with the word Glane written down the butt piece as well as the words "Conolon Live Fiber" written inside a fish logo. The rod also has a Sealey 2 piece rod bag in beige with an aquamarine Sealey name patch.

Any information regarding year of manufacture and value would be most welcome.
See my post in this thread JC, Sir :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 17&t=18538
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”