Another, earlier, Precision Rods 'R Sealey's Tudor Rose.'

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Another, earlier, Precision Rods 'R Sealey's Tudor Rose.'

Post by AshbyCut »

Won this evening on a maiden bid ... what can I say ????? It's a Precision !!!!!

The rather shaky photographs on the listing show a full length rod which, as usual, needs a little TLC.

It will be a 12 ft, 3 piece, reed butt, reed/whole cane centre, and whole cane/split cane tip ... (though perhaps not ... as the listing didn't detail a length ... and my 'Rapid Strikes' came in 12ft. and 13ft. lengths ... time will tell).

Better photos and details to follow after I've collected it on Friday.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Another, earlier, Precision Rods 'R Sealey's Tudor Rose

Post by Dave Burr »

AC does it again :Thumb:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Well done Mal, hope its a good un

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The rod has been collected, and I'm delighted with it ... especially as I've found that it's a 10ft 6inch version !

The reed and cane are in excellent condition, as are the ferrules and handle. Of course, It needs re-whipping, and the varnish has degraded with age becoming 'yellow' now, which seems to be par for the course with these rods, as can be seen in the photos.

To make it like the original I'd have to source some green/red twist ... which may mean another order 'over the pond' ... but we'll see.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looks like a worthwhile project.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i was tempted to put a bid on it ,but then i thought ,no ,ashbycuts addiction to precision rods is greater than mine,i just could not deprive him of his next restoration fix,is there a cure for this habit mel?
i hope the rod serves you well,chubman.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Chubman wrote:is there a cure for this habit Mal?
I certainly hope NOT, Sir !!!!! :Wink:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I finally got around to making a start on the three 10ft. 6in. 'Tudor Rose' rods I have by this maker ... and it's added to my knowledge.

I had assumed (that'll teach me !) that one of the butt sections on the two examples with the strange 'streaky' brown finish was Spanish Reed. Wrong ! They are all whole cane butt sections.

The brown finish appears to be some sort of varnish with a wood stain added ... quite different to the usual black lacquer finish used by this maker on the spliced 'match' type rods ... and it appears they only went to Spanish Reed butt section on rods of 12ft. or over.

I decided that I'd simply re-whip one of the rods leaving the original finish in place ... but completely strip the other back to cane ... just to show the difference.

I've completed this rod, omitting intermediate whippings (apart from the nodes), and it now weighs in at a miserly 9.9oz. (580gr.).

I used Elephant Brand Red/Green twist silk (almost matching the original green/red), and highlighting with Piper's silks 90/2 glossy Red silk.

Image Image Image

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Very nice indeed Mal.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Stunning.
Bumble

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”