Edgar Sealey Special Match Rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Edgar Sealey Special Match Rod

Post by MrCrabtree »

I have just acquired an Edgar Sealey Special Match rod. I have never seen one before so any information will be greatly appreciated.
It is 12' long and the butt and middle section are in either cane or spanish reed ( not sure how to tell the difference).The middle section has a spliced insert.
The top section is split cane with most of the top end being spliced. All the cane / reed and the lower split cane top section are stained/painted dark brown but the upper split cane spliced top part is a standard light varnished section.
The female ferrules are steel but the male ferrules are brass with spiggots.
Whippings are in red.
As well as the ESS decal, the rod is marked Sealey's Special Match , Weight 10 1/2 oz in gold lettering.
There is also a label stating" 8 Edwards Road, J.M. Daffarn & Sons Ltd. Erdington". I guess the retailer.
I consider the rod to be in very good condition it even has what I presume to be the original wooden ferrule stoppers. It came complete with original bag.
Is this a commonly found rod and what date would this have been in production.
I look forward to your feedback
Mike

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Edgar Sealey Special Match Rod

Post by AshbyCut »

The Sealey logo changed from ESS to the 'two fish' in 1964, so your rod is prior that date.

I have a leaflet which makes mention of the range for 1958 ... which includes reference to the 'improved' "Match 10/11/12/13/14 foot lengths. Specification as before but to bring the Match rod series in line it will be fitted with Green Slide Rings."

Apparently, if yours has green slide rings it's 1958 or later. If it hasn't, it seems to date from 1957 or before.

I hope that helps, Sir.

ps ... there's a scan of the leaflet in this thread :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 71&t=13993
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Thanks for that information.
Unfortunately my rod appears to predate that period.
I have googled the details but cannot find anything relevant.
If anyone else can assist I would be most grateful
Mike

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Mal have you any info on this Sealey Badge ? ,its on a 14ft model
and is the only badge on the rod.

Lee.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

LJM, Sir ... there's a 14ft 'Match' detailed (no illustration) on page 5 of the Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment 1964 Price List list I scanned in this thread :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 71&t=13222

It's 'H/Glass.' (I assume that's Hollow Glass.) The 'Edgar Sealey' type face on that transfer is the same as on the cover of the Price List ... so I assume it's part of the re-branding that year which included the 'two fish' logo.

By the 1967 'Manual' I have there are no rods named 'Match,' and by 1969 they are listing the hollow glass 'Blue Match' hollow glass rods.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Thanks Mal
The one i have is the 14ft cane model with green reel bands

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

LJM, Sir ... I was taken by the style of the type face which looked an exact copy of that used after 1964 !!!

However ... the mention of green reel bands suggests that your rod dates to 1958 !

I have a leaflet for that season which lists (without illustration) the 'Improved' "Match" rods 10/11/12/13/14 feet in length, and with the following :-

"Specification as before but to bring the match rod series in line it will be fitted with Green Slide Rings."

I put a scan of the leaflet in this thread :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 71&t=13993

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I too thought that the exact font they used post 1964 after the new trade mark was used, but anodising clearly goes back further than I thought...1958 seems very early for this new technique, but it must be so. I recall they later put blue anodised handle furniture on the Match Rod and Supreme, so it must be that for just a few rods they continued its use for some time.

I'm still leaning to post 1964 with that font.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”