Edgar Sealey Octopus Rod

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
John Cave

Edgar Sealey Octopus Rod

Post by John Cave »

If you have read my post "Morning" in todays Newbie section you will already know that I acquired a Sealey Octopus Cane Rod in a fishing tackle lot at a local general auction yesterday prior to me making an angling 'comeback' after a 35 year gap!!!

The rod - which is in the original Sealey rod bag - is to the say the least a bit scruffy requiring some new rod rings and all rings re-binding. The original finish/varnish (?) has almost disappeared as have the Sealey transfers at the base of the butt section.

I understand that it is not super rare but given the work needing to do to it - is it worth it as I have no attachment to the rod and am not capable of doing the work myself?

I am assuming that the Octopus it is a 10 6" long 3 piece fly rod and as I do not fly fish then I will look to move it on for something that I could use to supplement the glass Stanners rod that was also in the lot and appears in excellent condition.

I have pictures of the Sealey rod but am incompetent at posting them on Forums!!!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Edgar Sealey Octopus Rod

Post by LuckyLuca »

You have a few options here John.
Realistically we need photos to confirm what you have.
Posting pictures is actually pretty straightforward if you give it a try.
Failing that you could email them to someone (me if you want) who could post them for you.

Renovating the rod to a standard good enough to use is easier than you'd think. I can get a rod back to fishable with my 10 thumbs so I'm sure you can!
Failing that, perhaps someone may be able do a swap with you?
One other though, where are you based? You may have a member close who could help.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

LuckyLuca is quite right. Renovating a rod is much easier than you may think and you will find enough information and links in this forum to provide all of the expertise required. Just spend a bit of time reading through posts on the subject and you may well find yourself inspired to have a go. I did.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

Thanks guys for the response - I must try harder with this picture posting business, I am sure there must be some instructions somewhere on here that dimwits can follow.

Just checked in the FAQ section and zip, nada nothing about posting photos. Whenever I try it says that my file is too large and there is 250 KB (?) max limit and my pics are way above that!!!

I am right in assuming that the Octopus is a fly rod?

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Hi John. I'm not an expert on using Tinypic, but there are instructions somewhere on here. What I do is resize my photos using Picasa (a free download from Google). Resize them to 640 pixels (a standard setting in Picasa) then upload them to Photobucket. The Photobucket filename for the picture can simply be copied and then pasted into a post on here. This is quite an easy procedure once you've done it once.

The Octopus logo is just a Sealey trade name and was used on all their rods until the mid-60s. If your rod has a screw fitting at the bottom of the handle then it is a fly rod. If not it is almost certainly a coarse rod.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

SeanM wrote:Hi John. I'm not an expert on using Tinypic, but there are instructions somewhere on here. What I do is resize my photos using Picasa (a free download from Google). Resize them to 640 pixels (a standard setting in Picasa) then upload them to Photobucket. The Photobucket filename for the picture can simply be copied and then pasted into a post on here. This is quite an easy procedure once you've done it once.

The Octopus logo is just a Sealey trade name and was used on all their rods until the mid-60s. If your rod has a screw fitting at the bottom of the handle then it is a fly rod. If not it is almost certainly a coarse rod.
SeanM - thanks for that. I will certainly try that way when I have time to take a deep breath and give it a go!!. Time is not my big friend atm what with the TdF on tv every day!!!

Wrt to the rod - well that info. settles it - its a course rod so even more reason to get it fettled for me!

John Cave

Post by John Cave »

IMG_1462 resized to 250.jpg
Well the technique worked!!! Lousy photo and I WILL do better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Well done John!
Well she's definitely a coarse rod. Doesn't look like there's too much needed to get her bank fishing.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Way hey! Now the question is what is it? Is it definitely 10ft 6in John?
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”