Baldwins Pond and Blackweir/Lost Pond (Epping Forest)

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Bigoll
Silver Bream

Baldwins Pond and Blackweir/Lost Pond (Epping Forest)

Post by Bigoll »

With the Roding reduced to a trickle on the weekend and all the big perch and chub hiding away, I decided it was high time I tried some new forest ponds. I'm aiming to get to all 25 of them during the next year or so, with recce trips to groups of 2 or 3 where walking between them allows. Finding a few hours going spare on Saturday, I jumped in the car and headed off for the first 'double' - Baldwins and Blackweir (or Lost Pond as it's often referred to).

Baldwins, it turns out, is pretty much opposite where a friend of mine lives, but I'd never laid eyes on it before. It's a fairly small pond, located in at the bottom of a pretty steep slope, and fed by a stream from one end which is dammed at the other. Trees line the two long sides, with dense reed beds at one end and a shallow, clear section and sluice gate at the other. A weed bed runs around most of the perimeter, out to 8 feet or so. There was a lot of activity on the surface with rudd and roach breaching, and a large shoal of the former sunning themselves at the shallow end. There were plenty of bubble trails along the weed beds too; hopefully a sign of a tinca or two and perhaps some crucians. It's a- rudd-a-cast with maggot, so I had a bit of fun while taking in the view. As with all the forest ponds, it's a pretty spot:

Time wasn't on my side and I wanted to take a look at Blackweir too, so I left the rudd to their sunbathing and headed up hill along Clay Ride, one of the bridleways through the trees. At the junction with Green Ride, I struck off diagonally into the forest, trusting that the satellite picture of the area I'd looked at before setting out would steer me true. Sure enough, I soon spotted an area ahead where more light was coming through and headed towards it. As the trees thinned out, I got my first look at Blackweir Pond, and it'll certainly stick in the memory, with water as green as the trees around it and a surface like a mirror:

Blackweir is smaller than Baldwins but holds some good features, such as reed beds on two sides and a variety of sunken logs and branches poking through the surface. I watched the surface for a good ten minutes but saw no sign of activity. Not to be deterred, I flicked a few maggot out and followed up with a triple on the float, trying a few likely looking spots. I didn't get a single tap, nudge or brush for half an hour, but did notice a few bubbles and tiny wakes, possibly from fry just beneath the completely opaque surface. Still, it was a beautiful place to wet a line and I'll be back to give it a proper go:

Next up will be the double of Staples Pond and Earl's Path Pond, which I know already has a thread dedicated to it, so I'm looking forward to taking a look at it. I love these forest ponds!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Baldwins Pond and Blackweir/Lost Pond (Epping Forest)

Post by Mark »

It looks a lovely place Bigoll.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Bigoll,

I haven't fished Staples, its very small, but Earl's Path is great.

Gaz

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

That looks stunning!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

That looks so peaceful
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Gaz - yes indeed, I'm looking forward to giving Earl's Path a go after seeing your comments on it. I'm not expecting much from Staples as it does, as you say, look rather small on Google maps. A bit of research shows that it has been known to completely dry up, so it may not be up to much. But it's on the list so I'll pay it a visit.

Speaking of the list, here is the full run-down of the 25 fishing-permitted ponds in the forest:

Ornamental Waters - fished it a few years back but will return.
Perch Pond - as above but didn't get a sniff.
Hollow Pond - same as Perch Pond.
Highams Park Lake
Bulrush Pond - no idea where it is!
Warren Pond
Knighton Lake
Connaught Waters
Theydon Bois Pond - home of Gaz's monster koi!
Johnston's Pond - no idea where it is!
Wake Valley Pond - my favourite so far
Earl's Path Pond
Lower Forest Lake - no idea where it is!
Wintry Wood Lake - conjures up images of forest angling perfection....
Potato Pond - no idea where it is!
Bell Common Pond South - no idea where it is!
Hawcock Pond - no idea where it is!
Pizzle Pit South - sounds terrible!
Blackweir Pond
Oak Hill South Pond - no idea where it is!
Baldwins Pond
Staples Pond
Butler's Retreat Pond
Leigh's Pond - no idea where it is!
Goldings Hill Outer Pond

I'll put some work in to figure out where some of them are and how best to get to them, and post the results in the forum for all to enjoy(?).

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Bigoll,

The Ornamentals was my favourite water for years, i fished it all through the 80's

Loads of decent Tench and Crucian in those days, my best day was 17 Crucians to 2lB 10oz, 4 Tench to about 3lb on sweetcorn. Ive also had Pike to 13lb out in the winter.

Highams was an old favorite too my PB Tench of 5lb came from there

I've seen a picture of Pizzle pit on flikr and it looks terrible too!

Johnstons is a small rather uninspiring pond in Woodford on the opposite side to the Castle Pub, half concrete.

Butlers retreat is in front of Butlers Retreat Cafe near Connaught Waters, Warren Pond is quite near there too.

I went to Goldings the other month and just had a couple of litle Rudd out but saw a couple of Carp.

My Avatar pic is Knighton Wood Lake, not many swims but it looks great , haven't fished it yet.

Most of the others are dotted round the Forest Google Maps is a good way of tracking them down or perhaps the old way with an OS Map.

Gaz

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Cheers for the tips, Gaz. I spent a few hours this week doing some research and have now located all 25 ponds (a couple of them will need some further exploring on the ground to confirm) and captured Google Maps screenshots of them :geek: .

Hopefully I'll get a few free weekends over the coming months to start working through the list and narrow down the best options to become regular venues. I have to go to Leytonstone tomorrow so may kick off with a double of Perch Pond and the Ornamentals, or Hollow Pond and Bulrush Pond......or I might just hit the Roding on Sunday instead to see if the recent rain has got the big fellas active again :cool:

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

bigoll, I spent what fishing time I had fishing the ponds of Epping forest last summer, these two are ponds I know to visit, but never have fished.

However fish were caught at Goldings and Wakevalley.....Vole had a very pleasant afternoon at Goldings. Tench and carp. These ponds are fished quite heavily, but are very nice venues in my view.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Some wonderful ponds to cast a bait and relax :thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”