flashing minnow (streamer tutorial)

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

flashing minnow (streamer tutorial)

Post by Ian »

So I’ve been experimenting with perch and pike flies for a while and Ive been trying to design a fly that is so good I basically won’t need any other patterns in my box.I wanted it to be easy for tying,with as little components as possible.

Let me introduce you to the flashing minnow. The Carlsberg of flies.

You will need

First tie in the red thread with touching turns down to bend of hook

Now tie in the gold wire,the opal and the red lureflash,in that order,keeping the three elements lined up on top of each other at top of hook. This helps to keep an even body shape when winding the thread back up the hook.

Wind red lureflash up and tie in,then add a small amount of superglue to the lureflash,along the top of the hook. This brings the red through the opal.

Now wind opal over the top and then the gold wire.

Tie in some silver tinsel. This stuff can be messy so it’s best to wet it first,and the whole bundle can be wet before cutting the required length. Tie it in so it lies along the top of the hook.

Next add some long chenille,and again so it’s along the top of the tinsel.

The red tag wool is now tied in at either side of the hook.

Add a small amount of black fuzzy fibre,but this time spread the fibre out in order to wrap it round the hook and the other dressings,before finally tying off.
A simple yet deadly fry pattern that will catch any predatory fish.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Re: Fry pattern

Post by Iasgair »

That's a great tutorial Ian. You should do more of these and share them with us. Fantastic fly as well and sure to catch fish. That's also a very nice bobbin holder you're using too. :Wink:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I don’t fly fish or tie flies but found that really interesting! Not quite what you intended but I can help thinking it would make a great “teaser” tied infront of a shallow diver plug for Bass!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:29 pm That's a great tutorial Ian. You should do more of these and share them with us. Fantastic fly as well and sure to catch fish. That's also a very nice bobbin holder you're using too. :Wink:
The flies a good one iasgair,along with the bobbin👍. The other three bobbins have ceramic inserts and are rubbish,as I cant push the threader through them,and I can’t push the thread through them either. It’s like there’s a lip it gets caught on. I need to just bin them and get it over with. The bobbin in the photo is a cracker😉

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Duckett wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 pm I don’t fly fish or tie flies but found that really interesting! Not quite what you intended but I can help thinking it would make a great “teaser” tied infront of a shallow diver plug for Bass!

Phil
I don’t see why it wouldn’t work,attached to line with a couple of shot above it,like a jig fly Phil.
I’ve made a perch version too that I will put on here later,looks just as deadly.

Return to “Fly Tying”