Arctic grayling tube head (streamer tutorial)

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

Arctic grayling tube head (streamer tutorial)

Post by Ian »

You will need

Start thread a third of the way down hook shank,and continue down 5mm. You can wax thread if that’s your preference.

Cut off a length of zonker strip longer than the hook,again it’s length us up to you.

Tie in the zonker strip in two places. First tie in at tail,fold strip back,wind thread back up the hook and tie in again about 5mm shirt of the hook eye.
Wetting the zonker strip will help with keeping the fibres out the way.

Next step is to tie in some silver tinsel along the bottom.

Add the spots with the black perm. Marker

The next stage is to cut a bit of frizzy hair or bucktail and mix it with a tad of silver tinsel.

Image.

Spread the fibres and tie it in as a wrap,like the other streamers/lures in previous posts. Now come in with the whip finish. Don’t worry about the fibres being a bit messed at this stage.

Cut a length of shrink tube for the head and shrink,you can add a touch of superglue before sliding the shrink tube over the head as added security.

Next attach the eyes with a dot of superglue.

The finish is to now glue the eyes in with the clear glue. This glue takes about 30 minutes to fully set and I like to add a small piece of kitchen paper by rolling it up and threading it through the eye.
Once the glue has dried,the fly can now be held under cold running water and worked with fingers to set the fibres in position.

This streamer would pass off as a dace too.

After being wet

Last edited by Ian on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Re: Arctic grayling tube fly

Post by Iasgair »

Wonderful lesson Ian. It's a great looking fly; and I suspect it'll catch pike, among other species as well. I bet weighted down it may even catch walleye.

What size hook are you using?
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:29 pm Wonderful lesson Ian. It's a great looking fly; and I suspect it'll catch pike, among other species as well. I bet weighted down it may even catch walleye.

What size hook are you using?
Yes it will catch pike terryll. Where you are there is a loch,or lake I should say,that holds grayling,can’t remember the name of the lake though.
This streamer will really represent any small silver fish,but i have tied it to represent a small grayling,and there is a resemblance.
Maybe a tad of olive green would help to dim the brightness down,but it’s the flash that catches the predators eye.

I tied it on a size 6 kamasan B170. I didn’t mention because the Tyer will have their own preference.
Glad you like it.

Ian

:Hat:
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great looking fly. I have some zonker strips to play with so I'll try to tie one.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Fly Tying”