Tandem perch pattern (predator tutorial)

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

Tandem perch pattern (predator tutorial)

Post by Ian »

The small to medium sized darting perch and flashing minnow have now caught enough small jacks and perch to warrant a place in my fly case,so much so that the case is now half full of these two patterns,along with the arctic grayling which I can solely use for river fishing.

Sport has been fast on occasions,with small jacks and perch finding these flies irresistible on sight. I don’t feel the need to deviate from these two patterns,as I always said if I found a pattern that works great then I would concentrate on tying lots of them in different sizes,and that’s exactly what I’ve done.
The sizes so far range from one to three inch in length and are perfect for the smaller stamp of predators that might produce plenty of sport on days when the big fish simply aren’t in the mood. That said,it’s always handy to have bigger flies in the armoury for when the bigger predators,because when the mood takes them they can be just as sporting as their smaller siblings.

This perch pattern is tied with a trailing treble that’s ideal for hooking those predatory fish that can’t resist the thrill of the chase even when they’re not hungry.
Two things to remember when tying this fly

1) we are working with trebles

2) we are working with trebles

This can be so easily forgotten when shaping the fly with one’s fingers,or when running your digits over your flies in the case,pondering the choice. I’ve had painful reminders myself.

This tandem style fly is around 5 inches in length,but can be tied much longer thanks to the wire that links the hooks.

Hook choice and size is entirely at tyers discretion.

You will need

I’ve tried and tested many different materials for tying these predator flies and I have to say it has been a bit of a challenge finding the right material.
Trust me and save yourself money. The above material in different colours is all that’s needed.
The natural icelandic sheep is soft and long,ideal for the bellies of bigger flies,but beware,dyed icelandic wool is stiffer.
Frizzy hair is stiff yet pliable,ideal for adding structure.
Long chenille is very soft and is good for soaking up the ink from the permanent marker.
All the individual materials in the photo serve a particular purpose,and not just aesthetically.

Let’s begin by adding the wire to the treble. I use the same wire for making fly fishing traces as it doesn’t need a crimp. Simply thread the wire through the eye of the treble,twist and heat. Only a light heat is necessary to set the turns of the wire thanks to the coating. I’ve made the wire long enough to comfortable work 8 turns.

Tie on some turkey marabou to the treble hook and finish with glue and a piece of shrink tube.

Attaching the wire to the main hook is easy.
Start the thread at the eye and work down to a couple of turns from the bend. Now lay wire along the top of the main hook and add a couple of turns of thread. Add glue to the wire and hook before wrapping the thread over it,winding up to the eye,back down,and half way back up. The twists on the wire are enough to stop it slipping,especially with added glue.

Time to add the long chenille.This adds structure and will help with the depth of the body.

A little tidy up and it’s done

The belly of the fly is a mixture of the white Icelandic sheep and white frizzy hair,both cut to the same length. To mix them together simple lay out the frizzy hair on the table,spreading the fibres as wide as you can. Do the same with the Icelandic sheep and lay it on top of the frizzy hair. Now roll it up.

Cut the Icelandic sheep right down at the base where the soft fluffy stuff is

Cut to length with the thicker end being used,and lay it out and spread the fibres.

Cut the frizzy hair the same length and spread out the fibres.

Lay the Icelandic sheep on top of the frizzy hair.

Now roll it up.

You can now tie it on and snip off the waste. Remembering to add a bit of glue to the thread.

Nows the time to add the stripes with the permanent marker.

Almost there.

The olive frizzy hair can now be tied in. Cut off enough that the forward facing fibres can be fanned out and folded back. Frizzy hair is interlocking and can be shaped well.

Fold the forward facing fibres back on itself,but add a bit of glue to the thread first.Folding the fibres back on itself adds depth and structure.

Ignore the white fibres in the below photo,I just hadn’t trimmed it off.

Whip finish,add glue and a piece of shrink tube to finish off.

All you have to do now is shape the fibres with fingers. REMEMBER THE TREBLE. The idea is to get the treble locked into the material.

i added more stripes to the olive frizzy hair.

You can add eyes to the frizzy hair just behind the shrink tube. This will add a finishing touch for the tyers eye,but I don’t trust the eyes staying on so I will leave it the way it is.

Ian :Hat:
Last edited by Ian on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Re: Tandem perch pattern

Post by Iasgair »

Excellent tying tutorial Ian. I can imagine how difficult it must be not bleeding to death working with the treble hook.

Your streamer tying is fantastic with the details you put into it. Keep them coming.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “Fly Tying”