Lucky strike & Superb

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Chelsea
Gudgeon

Lucky strike & Superb

Post by Chelsea »

Evening All

Our Wal, has been up to his old tricks again I’m pleased to say. I sent him a couple of rods that needed some attention. One because the threads had dried out and become brittle, the other because I felt the rod would be a far better user rod once some changes were made.
Going by the feel of the rod now, I think I was right ( for me anyway! )

Anyone who read One Man & His Rod will know my affection and love for my lucky strike, but also know my reasons for wanting some changes made to it. The first was the handle length. Though I’d used the rod for years with the handle at its standard size, I always felt it would be better being longer. The second thing was the simple tube ferrules. Not only did I not like the look of them, they caused a cracking to the varnish at the base. So these have now been changed for good quality serrated ones.

The rod now, when put together and held feels a far better balanced rod indeed, which will enable more weight to be supported through the forearm due to the handle length ( now 23 inches )

The other rod Wal worked on was my Superb. Changing the whippings on the Rings and ferrules as they had discoloured and were brittle. The colour match to the original thread is nigh on perfect. Wal also used a satin varnish to match in with the existing so there’s absolutely no obvious difference.

I’ve been set a task with the superb, well, one I set myself in all honesty. The story goes…. I put a post up on Facebook about another rod Wal had restored for me, a 550 Cap rod. Some chap who is on my friends list commented that cane was totally inadequate for carp fishing now. That carp fishing is so far advanced now, and that carbon rods are far superior. I think he even had the audacity to call cane rods “ old flop sticks “ 😂

I pointed out that 3 record fish from Redmire had all been caught on cane, one being a cane roach rod, so this idea that some how cane is inadequate is a ridiculous notion. Anyway, we had some light hearted banter and it was left there. Until the next day when I decided that I’d go on a mission and see if my Surperb could really stop a 40lb fish like described in the advertisement for the rod. Not only did I decide this, I opened my big gob publicly on Facebook and told him I would stop a 40lb carp with it by the end of September 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️…. I don’t know why I say things like this…….????
So I’m glad to have the rod back from Wal, as I’ve now got this ridiculous task ahead of me………

It should be fun trying all the same!

Thanks again Wal, for your excellent work 🙏🏻

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dave F
Grayling

Re: Lucky strike & Superb

Post by Dave F »

Good luck with the forty…. It took me twenty years to get a 23!,
:fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Good luck with that, maybe a trip to France may shorten the odds....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A longer handle on a Lucky Strike is definitely a wise move, chasing 40's with a Superb? Time will tell. Given plenty of room and few snags will up the odds but, despite landing many large barbel on Superbs, I have always favoured something a tad heavier for carp. I'm sure it can be done but I feel that the Bishop on a Mkiv Avon involved a lot of luck and your rod will be given a right old hammering. It will be a pity to ruin Wal's good work.

But I am intrigued.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Dr Cane strikes again…. Cracking job :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Good luck Dan, I think your Superb will handle just about anything but where you're going to find a 40lb carp I really don't know.

wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

100s down this way now!

Some years ago a student came down to the London area from Sheffield to do work experience. He always asked if the pits we worked on and passed every day had 30lbers! The answer was - Yes! Bearing in mind we worked on Wraysbury I & II, Horton and most pits at Yateley we were never far from a 30 - many of these that survive are now 40+ - along with later stocked carp!

Suffice to say he never went back and still lives to the best of my knowledge - darn sarf!

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

well Allcocks advertised the Superb as being capable of stopping a forty, so if it doesn't , sue them.................................................oh - you can't

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”