Lucky strike

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Chelsea
Gudgeon

Lucky strike

Post by Chelsea »

Hi All

Here’s a lucky strike I’ve just received. It’s definitely got a few inches missing, but how many? It’s 10ft now.

Have the rods always been 10’6 ? Even the early ones? It’s just I’ve got another that is 10’3 that doesn’t appear to have had anything taken off and rewhipped ?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

MGs
Pike

Re: Lucky strike

Post by MGs »

It should be 10'6. Mine has a couple of inches missing. It has definitely been rewhipped. The butt ring is not original. They were normally gold and black or blue. Guessing there may be other original colours.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The Lucky Strike was described as new to the Allcocks range in 1956 and should have aluminium winch fittings and butt cap. However the Record Breaker in the same book states it has bronzed sliding winch fittings and butt cap.
They are very similar rods and probably assembled alongside each other so the very first ones may have been fitted out with the Record Breaker fittings.
The length is stated as 10ft 6in in every catalogue.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dan, I also meant to say, those unusually long bands of whipping look as if the rod may have some delamination problems.

Wal.

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Post by Chelsea »

Hi Wal

I did read that in the allcocks guide on splitcaneinfo. I’ve also read an article that said the lucky strike has been around since the late 1930s? I don’t have any guides to check, Wal?

I thought that also regarding the whipping but I must say I’m not sure that is the reason. The cane looks in really good order.

Regards

Dan

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:17 pm The Lucky Strike was described as new to the Allcocks range in 1956 and should have aluminium winch fittings and butt cap. However the Record Breaker in the same book states it has bronzed sliding winch fittings and butt cap.
They are very similar rods and probably assembled alongside each other so the very first ones may have been fitted out with the Record Breaker fittings.

Wal.
The Lucky Strike Chris Yates used in the APFA series had the bronzed handle furniture and its action ( as far as I can tell from the film) looks very similar to that of my early Record Breaker with bronzed fittings. This rod is very different to the later Record Breaker being quite fine in the tip.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:17 pm The Lucky Strike was described as new to the Allcocks range in 1956 and should have aluminium winch fittings and butt cap. However the Record Breaker in the same book states it has bronzed sliding winch fittings and butt cap.

Wal.
I agree, I had an early ‘Lucky strike’ with the same brass handle furniture. It was also a fair bit finer in the tip than the later version, whipped in blue silk, which I believe was ‘Sheffield blue’ Elephant silk. Very nice rods.

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Post by Chelsea »

So does the lucky strike only start making an appearance in Allcocks guide books from 1956?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Chelsea wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:48 am So does the lucky strike only start making an appearance in Allcocks guide books from 1956?
As far as I can see, it is Dan.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

1955 ALLCOCKS CATALOGUE:-
A186
The ""Lucky Strike""
A new rod in our range and a
real bargain. 3 joint built
cane, cork handle, full stand-
off rings throughout, bronzed
suction ferrules, sliding alu-
minium winch fitting and butt
cap.
10 1/2 ft 82/6 each.
------------------------------------------

The Record Breaker in the same catalogue has agatine butt and tip rings, has 'Bell's' Life intermediate rings and costs 108/- each.
It seems that the L.S. was a cheaper version of the R.B. - - ?

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”