Charity shop finds

The Other Reels forum.
MWithell
Chub

Charity shop finds

Post by MWithell »

I got a couple more treasures in a local charity shop but there are others there. Are these of any interest to anyone here? If so, I'll go back and see if they are still there.
ImageImageImage
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Re: Charity shop finds

Post by Old Wulf »

Ah. The Intrepid Truspin (the pink one), when a youngster my first ever fixed spool reel. Thank the Lord I don't have to fish with one of those now. I well remember that it did not take too long before a groove formed on the bail arm and line soon became somewhat frayed. Having said that they had their place in the angling world. For me they gave me the opportunity to afford and use a fixed spool reel, as opposed to the rusty old centre pins, given to me by relatives, that never seemed to turn as they should. As such I was able to cast where this kid had never cast before.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

:The bottom one; the Herculu , looks like something made in Korea or Japan for the American market . I quite like it. If l saw it I'd happily buy it just for name.....🙂
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I know what you mean about the grooving, Old Wulf. My Black Prince was similar. It rather biased me against Intrepids. I moved on to Mitchells and never looked back. I actually bought that pink one as it looked usable and was just different.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

If you want that reel, Kev, I'm happy to go back and see if it's still there on Monday. I think the name on it is Herculy. The bottom stroke of the y is worn.
Malcolm

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Well done, your are lucky to find them. Every charity shop I know seems to leave the fishing tackle to one side for someone!

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Used a secondhand Black Prince as a boy and it gave me good service. I remember re painting it with a little tin of Humbrol paint. I was dead chuffed with my efforts.
The line grooving issue on the bail arm could be dealt with by a small round file, although this was only a temporary fix as regular use would ensure the groove would reappear over time.

What are the differences between a Boy'o and a Black Prince ? Is a Boy'o an improved version or something even cheaper ?
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

MWithell wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:03 pm I know what you mean about the grooving, Old Wulf. My Black Prince was similar. It rather biased me against Intrepids. I moved on to Mitchells and never looked back. I actually bought that pink one as it looked usable and was just different.
I think that for all it's faults the Truspin has a place in angling history. I clearly remember that in the area I came from so many kids like myself had them. How many of us went on to be lifelong anglers because we had access to a "spinning reel", as we called them back then, that could cast a reasonable distance and either we or our parents could afford?

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I think it must have been before my time. It was the Black Prince that ruled when I was a kid.
Malcolm

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

My first fixed spool was the infamous Black Prince.The bail arm developed a groove after a couple of years,the squeak of the line going through the groove was awful!I replaced it with a Mitchell 324 which I still have and use now and again.

Return to “Other Reels”