Edwards rod .

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Keston
Tench

Edwards rod .

Post by Keston »

Quite a few years ago now I purchased this split cane rod from a lovely chap called Edward from the Southampton area . He had owned this rod for many years and refurbished it at some point . Edward used to work as a cabinet maker for Cunard . He personalised the rod with his initials but also did a nice job of the whippings and added a wooden piece at the collar at one at the butt end .
I do recall suggesting to him I would possibly refurbish the rod at some point , but it never felt right to do so and it remains "Edwards rod". This rod was probably the one I used most often as it was very versatile . It is quite powerful for its small size but the tip is also very forgiving .

I'm not sure exactly why , but I have always referred to it as a boys rod or junior rod , It is just over 9 foot and the cork handle is just 16 inches , the ferrules and rings etc seem quite nice quality . I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts to the origins of this rod ?

I think I have briefly mentioned the rod on here some time ago , but can recall asking or posting images .

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Edwards rod .

Post by RBTraditional »

Although I have no idea of the origin of the rod I love the story and the fact that you have kept Edwards spirit alive by keeping it as he liked it… that connection to the past is very special indeed….. :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I think it's one of those rods that would lose it's personality if it were stripped and refinished.
Perhaps part of its charm is not knowing too much about its origins or maker, but to have knowledge of its former custodian is something of great value.
The fact that Edward (who would have been a very skilled craftsman) added his own personal embellishments, demonstrates great empathy with his rod.
I fully understand why you would not want to refurbish it, a clean up and a polish now and then will bring greater joy I reckon. :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

A lovely story John, I would continue to use it and enjoy it as it is! :Thumb:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks chaps , it's a good usable rod so will be kept as " Edwards rod" .

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Nice Wally rod Johne 👍🎣
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”