Seldex reel

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mike Crompton
Gudgeon

Seldex reel

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
I have a few Seldex reels but none larger than the 3 3/4 inch version. Is there a larger version?
I have heard there was a larger one suitable for more line storage perhaps for “Salmon” .
Would welcome any comments.
Mike.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Seldex reel

Post by Duckett »

According to a couple of Youngs leaflets I have, only the one size available. I’ve certainly never seen a larger one. I think the only two size ‘pin they ever made was the Trudex. However, the 5 1/2 inch version didn’t sell well and was soon withdrawn - having felt the weight of it, I can understand why!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

The early Seldex , 1949 was in one size only, 3.25". In 1959 they changed the size and added more models. 3.5", 3.75" and 4.5".
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mike Crompton
Gudgeon

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Thanks for the responses.
Pleased to hear about the larger version. I have examples of the smaller, 3.5 and the 3.75 and will look out for the larger.
Mike

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:54 pm The early Seldex , 1949 was in one size only, 3.25". In 1959 they changed the size and added more models. 3.5", 3.75" and 4.5".
One day, I’ll learn to wait for you John! :Thumb:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Terrific reels - I have a little one and a big one, but wasn’t aware there were more than two!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”