Mepps Magic

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Rudd

Mepps Magic

Post by Rockape »

Hi everyone.

I have a new favourite reel; A Mepps Baby Vamp.

My daughter won this for me on 'that auction site', after hearing me rave about one I'd seen on this very forum, and it is officially now my favourite reel in my small collection.

Just as I had done with an Intrepid Sea Streak, I held off from stripping it down for a service, in case (in some unforseen event) I couldn't get it back together again, but the daunting Intrepid work went so well that I decided to give this one a go (well not a complete stripdown I'll admit, but enough to get it re-greased and oiled).

Not sure why, but it's internal design reminds me a bit of a steam engine (people say that I'm unique, but not in a sane way..lol!).

Anyway, to me, this is such a cool old reel, so for those interested, I have added a few photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Re: Mepps Magic

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Hi Rockape,I think your 'new favourite reel',the Mepps Baby Vamp was formally in MY collection.Is it right hand wind ? Yes,it's internal workings are a joy to behold with its cogs and connecting rods.Superb reels......Russ

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

I take it all back cos I've just seen your photo's and it's LHW.Fabulous condition too !!!

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:29 pm I take it all back cos I've just seen your photo's and it's LHW.Fabulous condition too !!!
Hi Russ,

I missed your post, so my apologies and thank you.

The reel was sent to my daughter from France, which is where I guess most of these are purchased from?

I thought for a while that it may be ambidextrous, but
the position of the oscillating 'hoop'(is that the right terminology?) would make it impossible...I think...?

Yes, it is in great condition for it's age. It does have a very minor dent in the rotor, but it does't show up that much and doesn't appear to have affected the reel in any negative way. It reminds me a lot of the Altex reels (hoping to own a nice example of those one day).

So from what I have seen in the forum, I would take this to be a 1936 model, but I am open to correction?

These days I am mainly interested in very early Mitchells, some old ABU's and for nostalgic reasons, I have amassed an uncomfortably large Intrepid collection, but cool unusual reels like this are high on my wants list.
Another of my favourites is a nice condition pale green Marine Record 500, with the 3 dart fins on the rear drag, but that Mepps is my number one!

Thanks again for commenting.

My Marine Record 500
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Yes,when you look at the Mepps with its removable side plate,it suggests ambidextrous but isn't.When I purchased my RHW model my intention was to change it to LHW but on removing the tail cap it was obvious it couldn't be done.Another learning curve.Sounds like you have a FSR fixation.Welcome to MY world.Your Record 500 is a lovely reel.Couple of weeks back I received a Centaure reel from the US with another two on their way.I try and keep my keep my purchases secret but if my wife gets to the front door first and our postman has a small square box for delivery I run and hide in the shed.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:45 pm Yes,when you look at the Mepps with its removable side plate,it suggests ambidextrous but isn't.When I purchased my RHW model my intention was to change it to LHW but on removing the tail cap it was obvious it couldn't be done.Another learning curve.Sounds like you have a FSR fixation.Welcome to MY world.Your Record 500 is a lovely reel.Couple of weeks back I received a Centaure reel from the US with another two on their way.I try and keep my keep my purchases secret but if my wife gets to the front door first and our postman has a small square box for delivery I run and hide in the shed.
Lol!... No chance of keeping my reel purchases secret from my wife; she sees me on ebay, puts her head in her hands and says "Oh no!...not another one!"

Recently, I've been buying a lot of cheap Mitchells for spares, so I'm certainly keeping the postman busy, and my wife increasingly exasperated.

The Marine 500 is a nice example yes (thank you), and came about when I answered a local ad for 6 mint intrepids (unused with factory sleeved boxes; £10 each), and there was also mention of a swiss made reel available too. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, because I had previously been drooling over one I had seen online (already sold), so I nearly bit his hands off when he agreed to £30 for it! The little Mepps reel also had me hooked (more so I think), so here I am with even more vintage reel models to collect (can't remember its name now, but I'd love one of those big triangular bodied orange Mepps reels with the folding handle....and to think it was not so long ago that I thought Mepps only made spinners).

Cheers!

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Rockape wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:37 pm
Russell Howard Brown wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:45 pm Yes,when you look at the Mepps with its removable side plate,it suggests ambidextrous but isn't.When I purchased my RHW model my intention was to change it to LHW but on removing the tail cap it was obvious it couldn't be done.Another learning curve.Sounds like you have a FSR fixation.Welcome to MY world.Your Record 500 is a lovely reel.Couple of weeks back I received a Centaure reel from the US with another two on their way.I try and keep my keep my purchases secret but if my wife gets to the front door first and our postman has a small square box for delivery I run and hide in the shed.
Lol!... No chance of keeping my reel purchases secret from my wife; she sees me on ebay, puts her head in her hands and says "Oh no!...not another one!"

Recently, I've been buying a lot of cheap Mitchells for spares, so I'm certainly keeping the postman busy, and my wife increasingly exasperated.

The Marine 500 is a nice example yes (thank you), and came about when I answered a local ad for 6 mint intrepids (unused with factory sleeved boxes; £10 each), and there was also mention of a swiss made reel available too. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, because I had previously been drooling over one I had seen online (already sold), so I nearly bit his hands off when he agreed to £30 for it! The little Mepps reel also had me hooked (more so I think), so here I am with even more vintage reel models to collect (can't remember its name now, but I'd love one of those big triangular bodied orange Mepps reels with the folding handle....and to think it was not so long ago that I thought Mepps only made spinners).

Cheers!
Ah yes,a beautiful monstrosity in candy apple red.The Mepps Super Meca.

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Image3x
Russell Howard Brown wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:12 pm

Cheers!
This little reference book of vintage French reels has proved very useful.Lots of pics and info.Has an A to Z of all the makers,dates of manufacture and values.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:30 pm Image3x

Cheers!
This little reference book of vintage French reels has proved very useful.Lots of pics and info.Has an A to Z of all the makers,dates of manufacture and values.
The one thing I am very short on is reference books, though I do have a book on the first Mitchells, which was extremely kindly donated to me, and is a treasured addition to my collection.

My only other French reel is quite common and came as part of a small job lot (please forgive the white refin on the rotor; believe me when I say it was in a much worse state than you see it here, and I will do a more professional job on it when time allows).

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Rockape wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:59 pm
Russell Howard Brown wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:30 pm Image3x

Cheers!
The one thing I am very short on is reference books, though I do have a book on the first Mitchells, which was extremely kindly donated to me, and is a treasured addition to my collection.

My only other French reel is quite common and came as part of a small job lot (please forgive the white refin on the rotor; believe me when I say it was in a much worse state than you see it here, and I will do a more professional job on it when time allows).
The little FSR in your picture is actually Italian.I've had 3 of 'em.First one I had was in rough condition and i decided to strip it down.Inside was a very crude anti reverse mechanism featuring a tiny spring compressed by a tiny ball bearing.Yep.....you guessed correctly,the ball bearing launched itself across the living room never to be seen again.😂😂😂👍

Return to “Other Reels”