Patshull Park Carp

This forum is for discussing carp.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Patshull Park Carp

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light upon where the Patshull Park carp originated from?

I have attached a couple of pictures of fish I caught there in the 80's

This one really is a sign of the times as it won the carp of the month competition in the Anglers Mail back then yet in this day and age you wouldn't even get a print mention of a fish that size let alone a picture.

A brace of 80's commons from the Church Pool at Patshull when it was pretty normal to picture them together. Unfortunately poor quality pictures as they are prints from a projector screen. I have 1,000's of slides but not got around to sorting a decent scanner for them. Those long fish didn't half pull the string!

Woolly Bear
Chub

Re: Patshull Park Carp

Post by Woolly Bear »

Shaun, beautiful golden scaled long commons what more can I say I doff my hat once again . Regards Woolly Bear . :Hat: :Hat: :Hat:

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I love dark commons, such a shame that these days fish like this are considered inferior.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Hi Shaun - Funnily enough I'm searching the Leney records for Patshull as a couple of us have some pointers in that direction. There is a definite Leney stocking nor far from the pool with an order for "all-scalers" as Leney recorded requests for commons.... The theory is they were stocked at the same time. If I do find anything, I'll let you know. My one regret from my time in the North west is that I didn't get to fish this water - those commons are/were magnificent. Regards, Skeff

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Shaun Harrison wrote:I have 1,000's of slides but not got around to sorting a decent scanner for them. Those long fish didn't half pull the string!
Shaun I have found it is better to use a slide viewer box in a dark room with a DSLR mounted over the box on a tripod and set it to a 2 sec timer then snap away and finish the crop electronically. I found the quality was better than I could get with a scanner and far quicker as well.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

In grew up quite near Patshull, but only fished it for pike. However, my understanding was always that the carp were Leneys...

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Stunning fish Shaun, really stunning. :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Any clues on stocking dates? Even the year would save a few days searching.....

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Wow they really are special fish!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

This is real memory stuff, going back to when I was 13 or so, but I do seem to remember that Patshull commons were quite often in the the Mail or the Times, and sometimes the Leney name was mentioned. I also recall John Sidley fishing Patshull using 2lb bream and carp live baits. That was a feature in the Times, and I remember being slightly shocked by it. Good angler, Sildey; but it still shocks me, actually.
I fished Patshull twice for pike, later on - deadbaiting in a deep hole by a tree, a spot said to harbour a monster pike.
I caught one jack.... :Happy:

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”