The Hampshire Avon above Downton.

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Charles
Ruffe

The Hampshire Avon above Downton.

Post by Charles »

Just thinking about those wonderful days.
Does any one remember or fished ,I believe it was the Trafalgar estate about 2-3 miles up stream from Downton .
Had a "character " of a Baliff Tom Williams and for a while a great under keeper called Jock.
Fantastic all round fishing in my early youth Every kind of fish and with deep pike pools in winter, long under willow runs and open water for fly,it also had a big eel trap and I suppose was a couple of miles in extent.Caught some of my best fish there and the May fly Hatch was amazing .Even caught a pike on one .
Well so much for Memories .Must try and find it one day. Charles

[quote][/quote] men and fish are alike.Theyboth get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~author unknown

Aitch
Pike

Re: The Hampshire Avon above Downton.

Post by Aitch »

Not fished The Downton stretch since 89' & the last time I fished the Avon was the Lifelands stretch in 92' too long ago.... I must get down there again :Beg:

Wonder if the Compasses at Damerham still does B&B.....?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Charles
Ruffe

Post by Charles »

Forgot to Ask ,any one remember "The Bull " at Downton ,they cooked the best sausages and with a cottage loaf and a proper pint what more could you want.at the end of a good day .I dream. C.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Not been in the Bull.... the Compasses used to do B&B but a quick google and it seems that it's gone all arty farty with a few poor reviews... shame, as they did a cracking pint of Waddy's 6X... we also stayed at Allens Farm (Fordingbridge) in the 70's & 80's..... aaaahhh happy Daze... Seems like I've been Mugged in Memory Lane :Cool: :Hahaha:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

When I was a lad "The Bull" at Downton was somewhere I always aspired to visit as it featured in many vivid accounts of the Hampshire Avon, a river that was many miles from my home, and about as accessible to me as the moon. I was saddened to read (quite a few years ago now) that it had been 'improved' and was no longer the place of legend. I never have bothered to visit, though I have fished the Avon.

Charles
Ruffe

Post by Charles »

I got Pinched for fishing with the wrong Licence at Damerham ,was taken there with a friend and a couple of Itchen Baliffs when i was in my 20s.40=years ago
Licences no prob mon brave I was told .good fishing Good lunch good scrumpy in the afternoon ,then A snooze .Woke up to Hello sir have you got your Licence ,OH yes I replied ,Thank you sir "but it not the right one It was wessex and Damerham a mile or so outide wessex border[Then].Up Before The Beak and fined lol ,adding insult to injury and recieved a small fine .The Beak said ,Had a good day and how did the fish rise ????,
will probably be thrown of this forum for this . Cheers Charles :oops:

Gobio

Post by Gobio »

I walked the Trafalgar stretch a few weeks ago and have to admit it is one of the most picturesque parts of the river I have seen. I regularly fish the Avon just below Downton and am pleased to say that the floods and high levels of last season are now just a memory and the Avon Valley is once again one of the most delightful places to blank in peace. The peacefulness was however gratefully interrupted yesterday by some very boisterous trout, a rather portly chub and pleasingly some dace and a gudgeon.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The Longford water (Trafalgar Estate) goes from almost in Downton right up to the bottom boundary of the LAA Britford water. John Searl took me fishing on their several times as he managed to have two tickets and we had some memorable days. He had some fantastic catches from their in the 40 years that he fished it.

Return to “River Avon”