Return to Jade Lake

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Return to Jade Lake

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

I found this lake quite by accident over 35 years ago when I got lost returning from a fishing trip to the Dorset Stour. It haunted my dreams for months and I was desperate to fish there. I made enquiries but drew a complete blank. Then a couple of years agoI watched Caught in Time with Chris Yates and the desire to fish it returned. However there is no chance as the syndicate is pretty tightly run with very little chance of getting in also I live almost 200 miles from it. But last week I was on holiday for a few days and decided to look in again as I was in the area. I hasn't changed all that much in all those years with the surrounding banks full of ancient trees giving it a wonderful atmosphere. The water still has that strange colour but walking round the lake there were still plenty of carp cruising just under the surface close to the bank which made them seem so catchable and tempting. I stayed most of the day taking in the atmosphere of the place, it 's so peaceful you feel you could stay there forever and not get tired of looking. Maybe one day who knows I may get a chance to wet a line in there who knows? stranger things have happened.

To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Return to Jade Lake

Post by Kingfisher »

That does look a wonderful lake to fish.

Sadly as my Gran used to say "You'll get what you're given".

I hope you're given the chance to fish there.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

That does look nice.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beautiful lake, I think we all want to fish it now.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

There was mention of this on another thread.
Some GSC members used to fish it including CY but they no longer do as the modern carpers moved in.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

HuwJohn

Post by HuwJohn »

Fingers crossed for you

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Walked round it once. Magnificent place. The estate has a fascinating history (fortunes made and lost, slavery, misadventure, exile etc.).
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

It is (or was) a wonderful water... Modern carp anglers have moved in since I fished there with Chris and some other GSC friends many years ago but the lake is very well managed and the atmosphere has not changed greatly as a result. Some wonderful large and uncaught carp swam in the lake when I fished there and whilst the modern approach (3 rods, boats, large baiting campaigns....) is intrusive and makes stalking more difficult, the lure of those fish and the chance of a close encounter would still be a draw.....

Sadly, I understand that otters have had an impact though and as the lake is at the head of a river system it will always be under threat..... How great an impact and whether those original carp survive, I don't know....

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”