traditional net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Snape
Bailiff

traditional net

Post by Snape »

I have a cane V-shaped net with 36" arms.
Does anyone know where I can buy the traditional (but knotless) type of net?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Cooksey

Re: traditional net

Post by Cooksey »

I would contact Jason White who does all the cane stuff, he seems to ba able to make frames to your requirements, so it follows that he could probably supply a net.

David Austin could probably help too.
Regards
Lawrence

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Cooksey wrote:I would contact Jason White who does all the cane stuff, he seems to ba able to make frames to your requirements, so it follows that he could probably supply a net.

David Austin could probably help too.
Regards
Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence. Do you or anyone have contact details for them?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

All the info is on the forum Snape, that's where I got my cane catapult from.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =144&t=531
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Snape, what it the thread size on landing nets, I am meeting a local Blacksmith today and I am sure he will ask.
Regards
Lawrence

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Cooksey wrote:Snape, what it the thread size on landing nets, I am meeting a local Blacksmith today and I am sure he will ask.
Regards
Lawrence
I am actually just looking for the netting itself to replace the netting on the one I have.
It is a Walker style net.

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Thank you so much
Lawrence

Cooksey

Post by Cooksey »

Any idea on thread size of banksticks?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Don't know where you found an M10 Bob, but all net heads, banksticks etc etc in the shop I worked in were indeed 3/8ths BSF and I've stuck a new Greys head onto a 60 year old cane handle before now.

It actually looked pretty good, matt pale green anodised frame in a pear shape with a 'traditional looking' knotless net seemed perfectly at home with the old cane.

Incidentally, there's a fair few people 'doing' cane handles these day from old rod butts. Sure they work and they look OK, but the original old handles must have been treated differently to a rod, they are very heavy indeed and they do not bend.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:Incidentally, there's a fair few people 'doing' cane handles these day from old rod butts. Sure they work and they look OK, but the original old handles must have been treated differently to a rod, they are very heavy indeed and they do not bend.
My Barder landing net handle is about 2" diameter. It is just a section of flame treated tonkin cane with pressed nodes.
It has no bend whatsoever. The cane handle that came with my Agguters Walker net is much thinner and has quite a bit of flex which I do not like so I use the Barder handle for both nets. Surprisingly it is not that heavy though.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”