Aerialite

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
MGs
Pike

Aerialite

Post by MGs »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allcocks-Aeri ... 5891aa510a

Interesting. I have one of these. Heavy but good for margin fishing. I have never seen one with a box, let alone a casting adaptor
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Aerialite

Post by Nobby »

I think these reels were made of Bakelite plastic and were more intended for sea fishing as the plastic was resistant to the salt, but I'm certain the side-casting adaptor was made by somebody else...I just can't remeber who........

Bet it fetches a few bob.....the reel is worth a Fiver and so is the box....the two together, however.........

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

It is bakelite, at least mine is. Absolutely no good for trotting, but as a margin/big fish reel it is fine.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

[quote="Nobby"]I'm certain the side-casting adaptor was made by somebody else...I just can't remeber who......
/quote]

Alvey, maybe?

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Horton-Evans 'Adaptacast'.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

MGs wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allcocks-Aeri ... 5891aa510a

Interesting. I have one of these. Heavy but good for margin fishing. I have never seen one with a box, let alone a casting adaptor

I was given one of these reels (without the adaptor) quite a few years ago now by a well-meaning relative.
It was obviously made to a price, not a standard, but for all that, it is really quite pleasant to use now, after some judicious 'tweaking'.
It is indeed made of bakelite and the chrome on the reel seat is good and thick. But... as bought, the spool did not run either concentric or true. However, after some remedial work on the lathe, it is now in balance and runs excellently on it's new bearing!
I have reduced the 'end float' on the spindle to a minimum using thin shim washers, loaded it with 100 yards of 4lbs b.s. 'spiderline' and now it makes a wonderful reel for mullet fishing from rocks!
To anyone who has never caught one of these fish, let me assure you that, for all their size, they can be as finicky and frustratingly difficult as the most wily carp-and equally as unstoppable, should you hook one!

After salt-or brackish water fishing, it is easily cleaned by washing.

I don't know if anyone else has the DVD of the wonderful, late Michael Hordern series, "Rod & Line" by Arthur Ransome..an absolute joy. In one of the episodes, he fishes for carp with one of these reels, attached to a Hardy "Perfection Roach".

With regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”