Allcocks 4 1/2" Match Aerial narrow drum

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
BobH

Re: Allcocks 4 1/2" Match Aerial narrow drum

Post by BobH »

I have a boxed Allcocks Record Breaker somewhere in the loft and as VFC has said it's a a solid Pressed Steel type reel.

It has a large spinal and to be quite honest, is a horrrible example of a centrepin.

There are far nicer pins on the market and I would go for a Trudex or Rabidex rather than the Record Breaker.

Bob

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

This is a Record Breaker:

Probably one of the last ones made as it has a Shakespeare sticker on it. As Bob says, made from steel pressings with bits from the Allcocks parts bin. OK for ledgering and stillwater float fishing, but not a trotting reel.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd think a Rapidex or better still a Trudex would be a good pairing on a Record Breaker rod. A Speedia would be lovely, but I suspect a litte more fragile......I know I was a bit clumsy as a youngster...still am, for that matter!

Of the two reels you showed in an earlier post I think the one on the left is a Ukranian reel with bearings in..they cost about £13 I think.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

4ngler wrote:Image

I am led to believe the reel on the left is the Allcocks recordbreaker.

as nobby say ukrainian star centrepin ,(these arn't too bad really as light trotting reels ) on the left & the shadowlandia (or clone) on right the 5" version is better than the humungus 6" version some come with a selectable anti-reverse.not sure where the shadowlandia hails from but they could easily be ukranian or china built as they're cheaply built .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

It does seem that I have been misinformed. The pitfalls of having an empty head and an inquisitive nature, one gets so much advice and is unable to sort through the chaff. Followed up advice again and found where it was resourced.......

http://steelheadsite.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5&start=30

See disgruntled man walking away shaking his head :hairout:

Wish I found this forum sooner. :brickwall:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

The one in the top left of the photo on your link is indeed a Recordbreaker. Good ID on the others Nobby et al - I didn't recognise them (as we wouldn't stock them). If you are ever after a decent British reel for a decent price you know where to look Bigfish ; ))
Jim

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

4ngler wrote:Gentlemen, could you please let me know any info on this reel, dates of manufacture etc please

Here it is with box and 1966 catalogue entry plus custom made line guard.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Weyfarer my thanks. What a lovely mint example with original box.
Oh if only I could travel back in time and have words with a certain individual,
with an uncanny resemblance to a reflection I was to familiarize often with in my teens.
See excited boy skipping from shop tearing into latest addition reel...
Hear stern voice...."Err young man, pick that up"...."I know its just a box"...."Put it in the bin if you don't want it"... :brickwall:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”