1952 – really?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

1952 – really?

Post by Beresford »

I saw this rod on ebay and it looks most like a Chapman 550 to my eyes. I'm not saying it is of course but would it be technically possible for this rod to have been made in 1952, given that Ravioli was caught in mid September of that year?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-hand- ... 3f3902cb7b

Interesting that the 10" and the 1952 look to be more heavily inked in than the rest of the script.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: 1952 – really?

Post by Nobby »

Well the handle must be younger than 1952 as it's got Roberts Reefits on it :Hahaha: held in place by larger corks each end.

I've never seen a Chapmans 500/550 rod with a butt cap and button either.

It might be, bearing in mind the writing on it, that someone has bought an unfinished blank though...and I believe Chapmans did offer those at one time. Or it might be a genuine early Howell rod.

George Howell was a well respected rod maker though, if it was an early rod he made it may be that he added the reel fits later in its lafe.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=331&start=10

Bob sent me some images of Howell made rods and they were far better finished than that rod....the ring spacing is a bit strange isn't it? Still might be an early one though.

Bob can be contacted through The Path forum, where he uses the name LeaFisherman.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”