Dating a Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Dating a Speedia

Post by Nobby »

Steve, some of the images there go back to 1945 RAF reconnaissance stuff...well worth a look!

I imagine there'll be a lot of destroyed buildings there......

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I looked on google maps and it only goes back too 2008 when the original (factory/workshop) building had been demolished and its a fenced of empty lot as seen from the side road .but my iE 12 or whatever it is in win 8.1 isn't letting google maps work properly (this version of IE is full of bugs) .

I also checked on bling maps (viewed in firefox as it wont work at all in my IE) and in sat view you can see the old factory with its light blue walls and tin roof and the office & other out buildings directly behind the boscombe road address in a little courtyard but I can't get streetview to work as something called Silverlight (a Microsoft program) won't run.I've captured the birdseye/sat image of the building but i'm not able to get the close up street view images yet ,I might ditch this versionof windows and go back to win 7 ,everything worked when I had win7 ..if I can get the street view sorted in bling maps then i'll capture (I use the pnt sqn [print screen] button then paste the image into paint then save as jpg ) the images of the rear of the building with its loading bay doors and front offices .

wish i'd made the trip to London to check it out ,maybe got a look inside & got some photo's etc or found some paperwork ,datable info to piece together a traceable history to make a proper guide or book . but the building is gone now replaced by a modernist designer apartments and any reference material will of been lost for good
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Bluddy computers!

Don't forget you can use the Windows 'Snipping Tool' to capture a whole page......I lost it so often over the years for some reason but it's part of Windows 7 so should be accessible.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

capturing the images is the bit that does work ,but Ie won't display the maps nor anything connected to bling ,I can get them to work in firefox but blings streetview needs Silverlight thingy to work ,its installed and the latest version but refuses to work properly ,I can see aerial views from above but not street views ,its win 8.1 its just sa bit buggy .I might go back to win 7 or see what win 10 is like first .I've fetched the pictures I've re-grabbed off my laptop (its a clone of my tower so has the same problems)

this is the site of the factory behind boscombe street as seen from Westville Rd ,(this was where the rear end of the workshop faced ) this image is from 2008 after the workshop was demolished. (taken from google maps)

this is it now with designer flats on the site (taken from google maps)

and this is the aerial (old view) (I captured off bling maps) of boscombe rd and the factory sited behind it between goodwin rd & Westville rd you can just see the building and the offices and driveway behind 52 boscombe rd & over too the right is old forge mews ,where a small foundry/smelting shop was sited and I guess where the castings was done ,before being finished at the workshop ,its a posh cul-de-sac now .

when I fix my Ie & Silverlight incompatability ,i'll grab the streetviews of the front and rear of the old factory if I can.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Blimey...empty residents parking bays....that MUST be an old photo!! It was about 1974 I think that the local councils in West London had this money-making idea, Hammersmith and Fulham ( where this is ) copied Kensington and Chelsea and raked in a fortune. As a resident of the latter I forget the amount it cost per year, but it hurt badly....about the same as car tax at the time I think.

Quite a large old workshop.....try getting that approved today...actually, don't bother.

Return to “Speedia Reels”