Piscario Reels.

The Other Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Piscario Reels.

Post by Willsmodger »

Just wondering if anybody has one of these? At £950 they are way, way beyond my meagre means, but I'm curious if they are really worth that amount of money.

I think one was being used in the Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing series. They certainly look the part in the videos I've seen but £950?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Piscario Reels.

Post by Nobby »

Blimey! I bet Paul Whitehouse 'requested' one...he did the same with a box of Paul Cook floats for an insurance ad on TV once.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

If someone pays the money they will find out, but apart from being made from titanium what else is different?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Nice work if you can get it.

I was watching the documentary about the House of Hardy on Amazon Prime. They thought it would be a nice gesture if they supplied Prince Charles and Lady Diana a fly rod and reel each on the occasion of their wedding.

The reply was that the outfit for Diana was fine, but Charles wanted an old Hardy reel that was no longer made. They had to source it from the vintage tackle market and apparently it cost a fortune.

Oh well, if you never ask, you never get I suppose.

The reel I saw is the Halcyon, because of the oddly diagonal spool bars. There's another one called the Elemental, sort of looks like an aerial.

Beautiful reels and engineering from what I've seen, but somehow I wouldn't dare use a reel costing near enough a grand. Imagine if it fell in. "Er, hello British waterways, I wonder if you'd mind draining the Severn for a bit..."

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Love your site btw Nobby. Many pleasant hours reading. Thanks.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Ref. to the Royals above I saw a similar video about the Hardies wedding gift.A pair of reels was requested and The Prince of Wales "liked the sound of the ratchet" on the model in question.I would expect the reels outlasted the marriage. These requests now seem outdated and modern royals request donations to charities on such occasions.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

That was it. It's been a while and I thought it was one. I think I would be embarrassed to ask. Although if anyone has a valuable antique reel to give me on my birthday, I do look a lot like Prince Philip. Well I look ancient and decrepit anyway. How old is he now?

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Willsmodger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:58 pm Nice work if you can get it.

I was watching the documentary about the House of Hardy on Amazon Prime. They thought it would be a nice gesture if they supplied Prince Charles and Lady Diana a fly rod and reel each on the occasion of their wedding.

The reply was that the outfit for Diana was fine, but Charles wanted an old Hardy reel that was no longer made. They had to source it from the vintage tackle market and apparently it cost a fortune.

Oh well, if you never ask, you never get I suppose.

The reel I saw is the Halcyon, because of the oddly diagonal spool bars. There's another one called the Elemental, sort of looks like an aerial.

Beautiful reels and engineering from what I've seen, but somehow I wouldn't dare use a reel costing near enough a grand. Imagine if it fell in. "Er, hello British waterways, I wonder if you'd mind draining the Severn for a bit..."
He wanted a matching pair of all brass perfect. I know the guy who provided them he made a fortune.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Willsmodger wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:34 pm That was it. It's been a while and I thought it was one. I think I would be embarrassed to ask. Although if anyone has a valuable antique reel to give me on my birthday, I do look a lot like Prince Philip. Well I look ancient and decrepit anyway. How old is he now?
Same age as me but Im about a week older and I don't have a pair of Hardy all brass perfect salmon reels.

I do have Slater which is even better.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nobby wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:47 am Blimey! I bet Paul Whitehouse 'requested' one...he did the same with a box of Paul Cook floats for an insurance ad on TV once.

From their website, John Bailey did the field testing of the 2 ‘pins for Pescario. John Bailey is the angling consultant on the TV series. 2+2 = 4, no need for Paul Whitehouse to more than drop a hint I’d have thought!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Reels”