My only cane rod!

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

My only cane rod!

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

I only ever had one cane rod, 2 piece whole cane about 8 feet in length. My brother had one too, whole cane butt and greenheart tip. My uncle rescued them from the house next door to his when the ‘owner’ vacated the premises. It was ‘Jack the Hat McVitie’, often wonder if he was an angler!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: My only cane rod!

Post by Mr B »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:34 pm I only ever had one cane rod, 2 piece whole cane about 8 feet in length. My brother had one too, whole cane butt and greenheart tip. My uncle rescued them from the house next door to his when the ‘owner’ vacated the premises. It was ‘Jack the Hat McVitie’, often wonder if he was an angler!
Interesting.....
I have few stories like that less the fishing gear.
If it were a bona fide Jack the Hat McVities rod it would be very popular in " The Manor"
Look out for your knee caps me ol' cocker.

Mr B
Angler? Most of us have a nice side.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

When I was 13 I was offered a job ‘bottling up’ in a pub paying ‘dues’ to the Krays, even though they were in nick! They also wanted me to run messages between betting shops!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Of course you were effectively part owner of my red split cane pike rod- in charge of bending the ferrule straight after most casts of the float fished herring😄

( Sad that todays herring on the fishmongers slab are half the size-of back then)

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Ah yes, some rod that was. Lucky you got those pike on your Carpmaster that day at the Hollow Ponds!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Gary and Tony- the year after; when we had moved to glass.

" cool" had not been invented then- but smiling wasn't it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

My nan knitted those hats!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

My only cane rod was a 6'6" spinning rod my father bought me when I was about 10. I gave it to a friend who says he still has it hanging in the garage. If he could bear to return it I'd have a good gonk rod.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

MWithell wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:25 am My only cane rod was a 6'6" spinning rod my father bought me when I was about 10. I gave it to a friend who says he still has it hanging in the garage. If he could bear to return it I'd have a good gonk rod.
My increasing interest in my classic tackle is about the memories associated rather then its effectiveness. Hope you manage to arrange its return.

I remember fishing with my Dad in a 60s winter. Went in over my Wellington top early in the day. I kept quiet as I knew if I told Dad he would take us home. Feeling returned to my toes in the mid 70s☺

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”