Rubber Button size?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
DontKnowMuch
Roach

Rubber Button size?

Post by DontKnowMuch »

Up until recently I'd never measured or taken any notice of the size of the red rubber buttons used by B.James and Sons but after buying a spare on Ebay advertised as being for a "MKIV" at 1 3/4" I took a look as the the button I received was larger by 1/2" to the buttons on all my MKIVs. All of mine, including the Avon measure up at 1 1/4" . The fibreglass Bruce & Walkers I have also come out at 1 1/4" so whats the correct size?

I notice in the rod taper section that 1 3/4" is quoted. Was that the size at the very beginning of production which was subsequently dropped by 1/2" in diameter later?

:think:

GloucesterOldSpot

Re: Rubber Button size?

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I think the ones used by Walker were bigger than those subsequently fitted to the production rods, which may be why the oft-repeated taper chart specifies 1 & 3/4". Every B James MkIV I've seen had a small (usually red but sometimes black) button.

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

That makes sense GOS with Walker using a different attachment and design at the bottom of the butt to the James design. I'll send the one I bought back in Ebay's direction as it looks massive and wrong as a replacement.

The Idler

Post by The Idler »

This is so obscure and such obsessive attention to detail! I love it. Like school boys frozen in time.

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

The Idler wrote:This is so obscure and such obsessive attention to detail! I love it. Like school boys frozen in time.
Size matters :hahaha:

Bob Murphy

Post by Bob Murphy »

Anyone know where I can get a replacement red rubber button for a MK 4 Avon?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Faldo Court on eBay, this is actually Peter Johnson who now runs Olivers Rods, formerly Oliver's of Knebworth.....

As to whether or not they are the correct size, I couldn't say......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MKIV-Carp-rod ... 337f26d90c

Bob Murphy

Post by Bob Murphy »

Thanks Nobby,.I think that the one on eBay is for the MK 4 carp which is slightly larger than the MK4 avon.I still have the original,but the brass thread has corroded.I managed to get the broken piece out of the rod OK,I'm wondering if it can be repaired,ie a new thread put into the original button

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Bob Murphy wrote:Thanks Nobby,.I think that the one on eBay is for the MK 4 carp which is slightly larger than the MK4 avon.I still have the original,but the brass thread has corroded.I managed to get the broken piece out of the rod OK,I'm wondering if it can be repaired,ie a new thread put into the original button
Hi Bob, :Hat:

....inch and a quarter red button on my Mkiv Carp.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”