Roach save the day!

This forum is for discussing roach.
JohnL

Re: Roach save the day!

Post by JohnL »

davyr wrote:Thanks, chaps - they were all caught in the traditional style of 1960s Macc Canal veteran Albert Oldfield, who astounded the "light line and tiny hook" roach fishers of his day by using 4lb line and size 10-12 hooks and laying on with lumps of breadflake or crust, allowing the tow to bring the bait to rest against the bottom of the nearside shelf.

Mind you, bread is about the only bait you can use on the Macc these days without being plagued by signal crays!
There is a lovely account in John Baileys "Roach - The Gentle Giants" of catching roach there as a lad to his hero, Alberts approval.
John.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Superb Roach Davyr.

I bet they brightened your day in the best possible way.

Mole Power!!! :sun:
Say aye tae'a pie!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Wonderful stuff Davy. Lovely roach. :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Macc Cut.. ..as mentioned in the Macc Ladds ode to love 'Charlotte'...

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Blimey, that was way back in June! Although I've had the odd one around the pound mark since, that remains my best roach catch to date (and my PB still resolutely stuck at 1lb 5oz). I'm hoping for a bigger one this autumn/winter, though.

I do have a few of John Bailey's books, but not "Roach - the gentle giants". If there's a mention of Albert Oldfield and the Macc Canal in there, I'll be buying a copy! :thumb:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Excellent catch Davyr :thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Well done that man, top roaching :thumb:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Davyr,

JB also mentions The Macc Canel and Albert in "Reflections from the Waters Edge" probably the same same chapter in both books.

I like the bit in reflections whwere he's plays a conger in Nice harbour on a Chapman Carp rod (550?)

Gaz

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

GazTheAngler wrote:Davyr,

JB also mentions The Macc Canel and Albert in "Reflections from the Waters Edge" probably the same same chapter in both books.
Thanks, Gaz - I've got a copy of "Roach - the gentle giants" (daft title, by the way!) arriving shortly, so I'm looking forward to settling down for a good read. I don't think I fancy freezing me bits off going fishing this weekend...

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I did a fair bit of digging on Albert Oldfield a couple of years ago when researching stories of big roach. I was lucky in having a very reliable and renowned local angler who told me that Albert was well-known for his stories that were, for want of a better word, exaggerated for the main purpose of selling day tickets. Other locals were well aware of what he was up to. Not to say he didn't catch better than average roach but just to warn that you need to be careful in accepting all of his reported catches as 100% genuine.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”