Book rescue.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Fredline
Tench

Re: Book rescue.

Post by Fredline »

You shall now be known as B.B.

Book Binder.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Dr Cane strikes again… I really didn’t know you were into bondage mate…. takes all sorts I suppose? Each to their own…..:Wink: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I had a go on a hardback and it wasn’t that difficult if you have the time and patience.

viewtopic.php?t=36409&hilit=Bookbinding
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That’s a great result Wal, I’ll have to do my copy before I lose half of the pages.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

RBTraditional wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:21 pm Dr Cane strikes again… I really didn’t know you were into bondage mate…. takes all sorts I suppose? Each to their own…..:Wink: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
Sorry for late reply Rob, I was a bit tied up last night.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:25 pm I had a go on a hardback and it wasn’t that difficult if you have the time and patience.

viewtopic.php?t=36409&hilit=Bookbinding
Yours is in another league Phil, very professional.

Wal.

SussexMan
Dace

Post by SussexMan »

Excellent remedy, WallysCast! Too much of modern book manufacture, unfortunately, cuts too many corners (literally). One question to ask; when completing that excellent stitching, is it advisable to incorporate some slight slack/leeway in the stitching, just so that the book can opened fully and flat? Some modern books refuse to stay 'open', necessitating a sea ledger-weight, or similar, just to hold the book flat. Then, of course, one is in danger of forcing the spine open, usually accompanied by a loud 'crack', after which the pages, one by one, proceed to fall out altogether. Old books never encountered the problem...

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I had a book - 1884ish Freshwater Fish of the British Isles by Rev Houghton - restored a couple of years ago. Because the pages were falling out!

Unfortunately the stitching holding the pages together had deteriorated beyond repair - - so it was taken apart and re-sown. It was also recovered - the original cover not having the gold embellishment of some.

Expensive? - - - yes! Worth it? - - yes! With 40 hand coloured plates of our freshwater fish - - and of species possibly hybrids!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

SussexMan wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:15 pm Excellent remedy, WallysCast! Too much of modern book manufacture, unfortunately, cuts too many corners (literally). One question to ask; when completing that excellent stitching, is it advisable to incorporate some slight slack/leeway in the stitching, just so that the book can opened fully and flat? Some modern books refuse to stay 'open', necessitating a sea ledger-weight, or similar, just to hold the book flat. Then, of course, one is in danger of forcing the spine open, usually accompanied by a loud 'crack', after which the pages, one by one, proceed to fall out altogether. Old books never encountered the problem...
I made the stitching really tight so yes the book refuses to stay open but it was always like that but now it wont break if forced. I suppose in time it will slacken off and possibly stay open. I think Johns idea of spiral binding would be a better and more practical solution.

Wal.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great idea!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”