Match Aerial Mistake

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
DaceAce
Eel

Re: Match Aerial Mistake

Post by DaceAce »

From what I remember these reels don't like a lot of heavy 'batting' over a prolonged period hence the wear on well-used models.

BBamboo

Post by BBamboo »

The paint on these reels can come of very easy so its not a good indication of how the reel will function, hope its a good one for you. I have a couple of match aerials and they are lovely reels mate enjoy.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

BBamboo

Its missing lever of the back so that's the first challenge as I think they might be a bit like hens teeth. Hope its a good one if it turns out to be ok its a bargin at £50 or an expensive mistake
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Garry Mills has those knobs...they're always falling off!

I found them hard to operate single-handedly and drilled and put a lever through the side of mine so I could flick the ratchet on and off with the hand holding the rod.

Provided the capstan bearing isn't worn you should be able to do it up to spin well, just a matter of polishing the end of the spindle and the end of the end-float adjusting screw to a nice curved shiny finish and then running it in one evening as you watch TV.

Youngs seem to have used the earlier flat screw end on the Match Aerial, but re-profiling it to the curved face as used on later Rapidexes, for example, seem to make them spin better.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

So the reel arrived today and....its not as bad as first though. The paint lose is not as the picture suggested as the reel is covered as what I can only describe as antique dust!!

The spool itself is straight as is the spindle but the is "play" up and down the spindle can anybody tell me how to cure this. The reel was only £50 so going to have a bash at this one myself.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

VERY GENTLY tighten the small grub screw in the centre of the reel boss (clockwise) ... a quarter of a turn at a time ... and spin the reel between each turn.

When you feel the slightest slowing of the reel ... turn the grub screw BACK (anti-clockwise)a quarter of a turn and leave it.

That should have taken up the 'float.'
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

ps ... fine some fine oil ... I use Bisley Gun Oil ... others may recommend sewing machine oil ...

If you've found a usable Aerial Match for £50, you should buy a lottery ticket A.S.A.P., Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Ok its out with the screwdriver and the gin has gone away! Looks like I may have a bargain?

Here goes nothing.......

Izaak Walton

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Probably too late now, but...

If it doesn't turn easily then It might well be seized, they do seem prone to it. If you put too much force into trying to turn it you'll damage the slot in the screw. Take the drum off place it on a table handles down and prop it so that it's level. Then squirt a bit of WD40 down the centre shaft and leave it for 24 hours.

Try the screw again making sure that the screwdriver you use fits really well and with luck it will turn. If it doesn't you need to consult an expert - the said Mr Mills.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Bang and the float has gone, leaving only a (very) slight wobble.

I have now started the strip down to get rid of what looks like years of dirt. I was just going to keep this as a rough reel that could be used for roach and chub fishing but as it now looks like it has potential I might try and paint this and bring it back to its former glory.

Has anybody ever tried to paint one of these before?

Izaak Walton

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”