Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T10 (1932 - 1946)

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Badger1
Roach

Re: Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T10 (1932 – 1946)

Post by Badger1 »

Hi Leveller - I'd like to see a photo of that if possible? A Pattern 9 with a silver rim (not polished) would be very unusual indeed.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Took the Aerial mentioned out for the first time sunday:

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Your reel is a beaut, Badger. it is much nicer than my one featured earlier in this thread. Oddly enough, when I was browsing a link posted on another thread on this forum I chanced upon what I am 100% certain is actually a picture of my very own reel before it came into my possesion.

Mine is the reel with the tag "137" further down the page in this link: http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/423/Le ... ck-aerials

To cut a short story long... I bought the reel as a pressie for my own fortieth — I'm strange like that. Anyhow, I hovered over the buy it now before finaly plucking up the courage/stupidity to press it. What turned up was nothing like what had been described as "very good, , no wobble, no spindle wear/play, etc." What I in fact got was a ratchet that had worn down to nothing, a bent reel seat, as can be seen in that picture, a worn spindle with a large wobble. The seller, is a well known dealer who I shalln't name as he did pay (I hope) for Garry Mills to put the reel into the condition described. That said, it was only after constant nagging, a long delay and my opening up of an ebay dispute and my making threats to leave a negative. Several weeks after pressing the button my reel eventually turned up and what I now have is a very nice useable reel. Not quite in the league of yours but Im still happy with it. As you can see from the picture in that link, the reel was rather sorry looking and I decided to clean it up, quite a lot in fact and I polsihed it up, removing a bit more of the paint in the process. I wasn't sure wether to just completly strip what was left of the paint and go bare-metal stylee so I opted for compromise.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Hi Haydn, sorry to hear about that grim time. I think as I've mentioned before on another thread....I'm not a fan of "dealers" hehehehe.
If the reel is good enough and not battered....and the price is acceptable to me then I'll pay it. If it's a battered reel then the price should reflect that.
This one pictured was too good to turn down....I don't think there will be many knocking around in such nice condition. The backlate has some marks but nothing major. Spins superbly with no wobble and check is strong and crisp. I don't tend to use the check myself.....rod is always in hand really so that should remain fine. My other 7950-T10 has the polished rim and leaded finish and is gorgeous reel but to have one with a nickel-silver rim.....had to have it.

Tight-lines.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Leveller wrote:Very nice looking reel.
I've got an allcock no9 , retailed by Herbert hatton that has this silver rim tweak
Nice detail.
I have. Herbert Hatton salmon spinning rod-absolute beast of a thing- chucks a Toby for miles and miles!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Badger, loved your pictures, I've not been barbeling for a while , seeing your snaps bought back some lovely memories, thanks .
Just to clarify about my reel,
It's made by jw young, it's the same reel allcocks sold as the no9 pattern
However it was retailed by Herbert hatton of Hereford, (sorry if I mislead anyone)
From memory, which is a little foggy, Herberts gear was top notch stuff, he had a good name for quality, however he unfortunately wasn't around for long before he was fishing the pond in heaven, his son took over the business until it folded, I don't why I have this in my head, their must be a reason.
The rim is beautifully fitted, if you look really closely you can see two tiny pins fixing it in place, when I get home I shall seek out pictures if you still wish to see them.

A big fat chub who appears to have eaten a football, river dove, winter floods2008

Sorry I havnt got a better picture, I'm away from home at the moment, I've been stick fishing the isis with my speedia today in Oxford, great day for a perch.
The last time I was here, a monster perch took my hooked roach, I'm on a mission to get my own back.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There was a Herbert Hatton rod and bag on eBay recently. Looked very high quality.

RightCharlie

Post by RightCharlie »

Image Comparison photo of all 3 sizes 3 1/2, 4 & 4 1/2"
Each with a story -
4 1/2" came back from Canada for £100 with no handles. New handles by Adrian Richardson & now my favourite user.
4" was a disaster, broken front flange & ran very rough, paid Phil Waller a reasonable price. The Aerial wizzard Garry Mills did the repair and lots of work by me with metal polish, repeated oil changes and it now runs like a dream!
3 1/2" - £20 from an antique centre!! think they got the Aerial and Aerialite mixed up!

I find the rim check perfect to use, being on the front of the rim close to my middle finger although they were made for use the other way round for left handed use!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T10 (1932 - 1946)

Post by Mark »

Some lovely reels there Charlie.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Maggot's Dad

Re: Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T10 (1932 - 1946)

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Good evening all, :Hat:

.....did someone mention T10's .....l ovely reels ... here's mine (1934/5) in it's case and below it, it's provenance.

R.I.P John.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”