Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Kev, You might still be able to get a hollow glass whip from the Poundshop that would make a telescopic light lure rod if fitted with a suitable handle.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:39 pm Kev, You might still be able to get a hollow glass whip from the Poundshop that would make a telescopic light lure rod if fitted with a suitable handle.
I haven't seen any of those whips in Poundland for a while and none of the telescopic rods since Robson Green started selling them under his own name. I kid you not! But l did take the precaution of laying - in two or three of each "for the Grandchildren". 😁
On the other hand a solid glass version would be a bit more vintage, especially as l have an el cheapo, un branded but period , pressed ally(?) baitcasting reel with constantly engaged spool. The outfit would be crude but fun........ Another project!
Last edited by Kev D on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Kev D wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:31 pm 20200423_204934_resized.jpgTonytoned here is the book. It cost a couple of pounds
from one of those bucket bookshops a few years ago.
The trouble is this thread has me thinking about combining a reel seat from a broken fly rod and a 5' 6" solid glass schooling whip that l rescued from a stable-yard skip, to make a little US style baitcasting rod...🙄
20200423_205121_resized.jpg
20200423_205337_resized.jpg
20200423_205522_resized.jpg
20200423_100817_resized.jpg
Thanks Kev. Do it!!! Rescue it. I'll keep an eye out for that one. :Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:39 pm I love those surface lures with the blades fore and aft, whenever a pike takes I jump out of my skin. The Heddon Crazy Crawler is another surface lure that demands nerves of steel to fish with.

I'll do some shots of mine tomorrow.
Look forward to seeing them Dave. :Thumb:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

My son bought a crazy crawler some years ago. Anyways, we were fishing in a big pool on the Thames at the back of an island off the main channel when we saw a nice rise from an actively feeding pike. So my son sets up his spinning rod and puts on the crawler. Before he casts I say to him that he'll never catch on that thing. First cast he works the crawler on the surface, acting like he knows what he's doing, when bam, the water erupts as the pikes head shoots above the surface and the pike is on, a nice 8lber! Whenever I say you'll never catch he always does. And whenever I say there's no pike in here, we see lots! So long as I don't overdo being negative, we are assured of a good days fishing!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:57 am My son bought a crazy crawler some years ago. Anyways, we were fishing in a big pool on the Thames at the back of an island off the main channel when we saw a nice rise from an actively feeding pike. So my son sets up his spinning rod and puts on the crawler. Before he casts I say to him that he'll never catch on that thing. First cast he works the crawler on the surface, acting like he knows what he's doing, when bam, the water erupts as the pikes head shoots above the surface and the pike is on, a nice 8lber! Whenever I say you'll never catch he always does. And whenever I say there's no pike in here, we see lots! So long as I don't overdo being negative, we are assured of a good days fishing!
That's a great story Santiago. It's funny how things turnout different to what you expect. I love hearing all these stories. Thank you

:Hat:

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Some more modern lures quite a few American ones, quite a few surface lures and many bought as presents. It's great to have a fishing friend who lives in the USA.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Phil Arnott wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:04 pm Some more modern lures quite a few American ones, quite a few surface lures and many bought as presents. It's great to have a fishing friend who lives in the USA.

Stunning collection Phil. So most of them would still have their boxes? Love the veins on the plugs on the top row of the lower image.

:Hat:

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I have very few boxes Tony, many are second hand and most of the newer ones came in plastic packaging. The ones you picked out are Jitterbugs, a well known American surface lure. There's a jointed version middle top of the first picture. The ones I particularly like of the surface lures with the spinning blades in the top picture by Luhr Jensen and Hedon.

The bottom ones on the top picture are Rapala. I've caught bass trolling with the middle and right hand patterns.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

if you are on about the jitterbug top water lure they are brilliant to use as they can raise fish from shallow to quite deep water and when they hit them it is like an eruption they are great fun
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”