Avondale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Hexapin
Bleak

Avondale

Post by Hexapin »

Just took delivery of my first "bargain" cane rod to date. I.e. a cheap rod bought unseen. Rather than a rod that's been inspected, or bought from a reputable agent with a guarantee.

I have to say I think I got lucky. The varnish is a little dodgy in places and handle is a bit dirty and the button is missing but its a hollow built Avondale by Aspindales with no set or tick for a bargain price and totally fishable, with original bag which even smells of old tobacco. Woohoo, I got lucky this time ....

Barbulus
Tench

Re: Avondale

Post by Barbulus »

Well done.....sounds like you managed a bit of a bargain there....little bit of a light clean and "away you go".....

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent, Sir !!! Any chance of a picture or two ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

here you go.
-missing button
-brass ferules with what looks like original whipping (black and yellow) to ferules and handle and butt ring. Lined butt and tip ring. All other rings are black high bells with black whipping that appears to match all the inters. Not sure if the black rings are originals, replacements or whether the rings have been somehow painted. As they have a roughish paint finish to them but not so as to impede a line shoot.
-One of the sliding reel rings is a replacement.
-Also there is an additional inscription on the butt to the side "J. Stevenson, Long Eaton, Nottingham"
-The butt section has been varnished over messily with blobs of old varnish

-So its a "user" that could do with titivation...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I too had an Aspindale Avondale that had been inscribed with the owners name at the factory.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Very nice, Sir. (The handle will clean up nicely with just some warm water, washing up liquid, and I use one of those little kitchen sponges with a soft fibre scourer on one side.)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

thanks for the tip. I'll get scrubbing tonight. I also bought the "kirndale" off ebay last night. I paid somewhat more for it so I have my fingers crossed. Where can I get the right button and set of reel rings for this rod?

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”