Redmire first visit - some old pics

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Redmire first visit - some old pics

Post by GregF »

Hi,

Just been going through some old stuff and came across these photos of my first trip to Redmire in 1989 so thought I’d share them on here.
Sorry they’re not great quality, they were taken on a very basic compact camera and I have just re-photographed them on digital (scanner not working at the moment). NB the black and whites were taken on black and white film.

The entrance to the estate

The dam, with the old scaffold rail (before the wooden one was replaced)

The ‘inscription’

The ‘new’ boathouse under construction

Looking down the lake from the dam (fish swirling)

A much younger me sitting on the dam rail

The Evening Pitch/Oaks with my lovely old Spitfire which took me all the way from Essex to Herefordshire (engine replaced two days before the trip because I blew it up!)

Looking across the lake from ?the Willow Pitch?

Looking up the lake towards the dam

Sorry no fish pictures, I blanked!
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Redmire first visit - some old pics

Post by Loop Erimder »

Brilliant thanks for sharing :Hat: that tree at the entrance to the farm is a tad bigger now :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Lovely to see. It must have been fun cramming the Spitfire full of fishing gear for the drive to the pool. Did you have a luggage rack on the car?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Cheers chaps,

Beresford, no luggage rack, I just crammed the stuff in the boot, the little space behind the seats and on the passenger seat/footwell. Just managed it. I wasn't sure the car would actually get there having only just replaced the engine, but it was fine.

I went back again, with my brothers and my dad this time, in 2004. (I blanked again, what a noddy!) My dad had a nice one though, a beautifully coloured common of 19 ½ lb. I think I put a pic of it up on here once. I sometimes think about going back for one more visit. It’s not high on my agenda really, but my dad was saying yesterday how much he enjoyed it when we went and would love to return. He’s in his 70’s now, so without being morbid, perhaps it might be wise to try and get us a trip there fairly soon.

Loop, I didn't even notice the tree on that second trip. But I did notice how much busier the roads seemed to be down there than before.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I had a Spitfire one close season 'to get it out of my system' and ended up accepting a Angling invite in Lincolnshire on a water that was kept open. I had to unzip the back window to get the rods in :-) I then brought a Land Rover ' to get it out of my system' and 24 years later I still drive one. Great to see the shots and thanks for sharing and unearthing my Triumph Spitfire memory which also blew up!

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

I believe Spitfires had a habit of doing that Shaun (or maybe it was the drivers? :Hahaha:). It was great fun to drive though, despite being a bit small for fishing gear. I'd love to get another one now (mid-life crisis alert!) Mind you, I think I'd prefer a Landrover. One day maybe.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Triumph engines that blew up? I thought it was a case of when not if :Happy:

Lovely pictures Greg, Redmire certainly is a timeless place.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Look at the tree now from the first photo
viewtopic.php?f=245&t=12066
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Super photos Greg - thanks for taking the time to post them. :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Great photos Greg. Thanks.
1989 was inly shortly after it became possible for anyone to fish it. I recall seeing an advert about it in the angling press around that time and dreaming about being able to fish it one day. :Happy:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Redmire Pool”