Resistance is futile.

The Speedia Reels forum.
Pinhead

Resistance is futile.

Post by Pinhead »

Just bought my third Speedia.

Used to be a confirmed Rapidex/Trudex guy, but I now seem to have a new addiction - Heaven help me!

:doh:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Resistance is futile.

Post by RBTraditional »

The Speedias' do have a certain attraction sir.......I have three, five Rapidex and two Trudex..........out of a collection of over 50"pins....I can confirm that it is indeed an addiction.........There is no known cure .......... :Chuckle:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

I have 7 'pins now - a Rapidex, an Intrepid Match of which I am inordinately fond, 2 mint Grice & Young reels - an Avon Crown and a tiny Gypsy D'Argent - and the 3 Speedias - all of the "Improved" type - 2 with the adjustable drag and the other without.

My wife would probably like my collection to be complete, but I doubt very much if that is the case! For instance, I still need a good Trudex, an Aerial Popular, a wooden Slater Latch,......

:surrender:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

there's something just right about a speedia ,not a particularly quality built item ,not got a great winding capacity (Deep arbor ) but they're dam hard to beat .

as for collection centrepins ,your already a lost cause.....Your a confirmed "PINHEAD"
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

I just bought another speedia, not sure how good it will be once I get it, 45 pounds plus delivery to Australia. The Float screw looks like its wound in quite a way, so not sure until I handle it. That will be my second Speedia, I have 2 Trudex, about 15 G&Y reels, about 6 Strikerights, an Okuma, a TF Gear classic, an elegance, an Iconix. The minister for finance, lack of fun or whatever is about to crack it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221562322122? ... _22wt_1399

Matt

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Chavender wrote:
as for collection centrepins ,your already a lost cause.....Your a confirmed "PINHEAD"
Damn! Why didn't I think of that when I was choosing a username! :doh:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

MacMan wrote:I just bought another speedia, not sure how good it will be once I get it, 45 pounds plus delivery to Australia. The Float screw looks like its wound in quite a way, so not sure until I handle it. That will be my second Speedia, I have 2 Trudex, about 15 G&Y reels, about 6 Strikerights, an Okuma, a TF Gear classic, an elegance, an Iconix. The minister for finance, lack of fun or whatever is about to crack it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221562322122? ... _22wt_1399

Matt
its either wound down a lot or missing ,if its missing then you'll need to find a non metric grub screw ,a 6ba is the type.apart from the concern with the grub screw ,it looks ok but only when you get it will you know .but the price is in todays terms a bargin .if it is a small grub screw wound down you could pop the one in from your other one to see if everything is ok .you might still need to replace it for a better fitting one .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

Seller assures me the grub screw is there, otherwise, I bought it without looking close enough at that detail and only saw it later. 45 pound seemed a bargain for buy it now and I was after a second one, so snapped it up. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives. I love buying this stuff from Eaby, sometimes you get something that's much better than you expected, sometimes much worse, overall I have found Ebay sellers from UK to be pretty excellent, provided you take reasonable care.

Matt

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

Reel arrived, was actually in pretty good nick except that the adjustable brake doesn't work, spins beautifully without any wobble. Haven't done anything with it yet, but will probably try to fix the brake and work out what is going on with the grub screw. Might have a go at restoring this one.

Matt

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Chavender wrote:there's something just right about a speedia ,not a particularly quality built item ,not got a great winding capacity (Deep arbor ) but they're dam hard to beat .

Yes, you've summed it up there, its not a quality piece, by a long way, but it does have an attraction......though I`m a confirmed JW Young fan, early & late Rapidex (every variant) Trudex etc etc , I wouldn't knock speedias, each has a place or niche....

You'll end up with a large collection of pins sooner or later....... (Insert demonic laughing smilie)

Return to “Speedia Reels”